• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Anyone know?

Redneck Dek

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Being an ailing old fart I knackered at getting a decent cast with big lead and bait using a 6and bait with a spin fisher.
I’ve been using a shakey flattie all summer and pre lockdown and can use it easily spinning/float and up to 3oz with bait without a problem.
A couple of weeks ago tried the big rod and could properly use it!
I’ve considered a afaw estuary but thing it’s too light as I like fishing mixed/rough ground.
Snapped bicep tendons and osteoporosis along with a bit of cancer has taken its toll!!!
I’m considering a 4 and bait as it may be what I’m after.
Has anyone used one or recommend something similar and which reel to pair with it?
It’s to be used over roughish ground and I’ll keep the flattie for summer fun.
Any ideas my learned brethren?
Cheers lads?

Being an ailing old fart I knackered at getting a decent cast with big lead and bait using a 6and bait with a spin fisher.
I’ve been using a shakey flattie all summer and pre lockdown and can use it easily spinning/float and up to 3oz with bait without a problem.
I’ve considered a afaw estuary but thing it’s too light as I like fishing mixed/rough ground.
Snapped bicep tendons and osteoporosis along with a bit of cancer has taken its toll!!!
Has anyone used one or recommend something similar and which reel to pair with it?
Cheers lads?
Problem with fishing rough ground you need a rod with a bit of back bone ,I see where your coming from with your health problems , try to stick with the 6 n bait good rod it is ,try a gentle off ground cast which will give you good distance and the rod will handle the ground tobe honest I'd not drop below a 6 n bait, you can cast it with 5oz lead just has good ,the spinfisher reel is good loaded up with 30lb braid and a 100lb braid leader nice set up ,if you got the money and looking for a lighter rod with back bone have a look at the century range ,I personally use the j-curve ,light slim ,on my rougher ground ,see what others are useing and ask to have a cast with

Last edited:
What ever you decide to do, just take it easey.Take it ease?y! Take care, tightlines, you´ll sort it!

Cheers lads?
Is it the weight of the weight and bait or the bending of the rod that knackers you?
I fished a vercelli unabomber and an imax match plus side by side and I found the unabomber far easier to fish with and made the same weights feel lighter in the cast due to the different rod actions.

I really don’t get this shockleader stuff..I use 20lb line..and 4oz leads on carp rods...sling it 80 yards...never cracked off.
It's all down to the rods, same as you I can hit a 4oz lead as hard as I like on 20lb on carp rods, they are alot softer. Theres no way i could do that with my beach casters cus they are too stiff, I fish 50lb braid straight through, most mortal sea anglers will never load there beachcaster to it's full potential and unless you are on rough ground we are usually way over gunned .

Problem with fishing rough ground you need a rod with a bit of back bone ,I see where your coming from with your health problems , try to stick with the 6 n bait good rod it is ,try a gentle off ground cast which will give you good distance and the rod will handle the ground tobe honest I'd not drop below a 6 n bait, you can cast it with 5oz lead just has good ,the spinfisher reel is good loaded up with 30lb braid and a 100lb braid leader nice set up ,if you got the money and looking for a lighter rod with back bone have a look at the century range ,I personally use the j-curve ,light slim ,on my rougher ground ,see what others are useing and ask to have a cast with
Thanks,that sounds feasible and the reel is loaded with 30lb braid with 80lb leader.
Lighter leads sounds the way forward.?

Jax my other half and I use zziplex v max f1's
Slim, light but plenty of power if you need it but they don't beat you up.
Or a lighter version is the f2
Hunt the 2nd hand market.
Plus side is, if you don't get on with them you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it ?

Jax my other half and I use zziplex v max f1's
Slim, light but plenty of power if you need it but they don't beat you up.
Or a lighter version is the f2
Hunt the 2nd hand market.
Plus side is, if you don't get on with them you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it ?
Thanks lad,my knowledge of rods isn’t as good as some of you boys.
It’s really the alternatives I’m looking for to make it a pleasure fishing rather than a half hearted cast hoping not to hurt myself.
I’ll have a look about,again thanks?

I really don’t get this shockleader stuff..I use 20lb line..and 4oz leads on carp rods...sling it 80 yards...never cracked off.
Yeah!!!!! If you have to cast further than that then get a boat!!! Or if you can't then go pole fishing in a mud puddle.

Mud puddles and poles doesn’t really interest me I just don’t get it!
Fat fish with names what all that about?
there was a carp called smelly belly or something when it died it made the news and the sad c4nts even had a funeral and have it a gravestone!!!!

Have a look at some of the Vega rods, they were designed for the rough Portuguese coastline and I have the Potenza Elite, used it with 6oz leads and single large sandeel. It is light and yet very capable, so easy to cast, stands up to waves and weed.

Might I suggest the century fireblade well within your budget and a gem if a rod for £250ish.
I have seen these rods in action quite a few times,ranging from reef marks to battery point e.t.c and handle large smoothounds, to big rays e.t.c exceptionally well.. personally I would have a pair myself for rock/reef/mixed to rough ground,and above all light..
A beauty of a rod in my opinion,i believe they can be used with fixed spool as well,I stand corrected if not...proof of the pudding si-fly has had a lot of quality fish on them.worth every penny I would go as far to say,if course the choice is yours
I suppose worth remembering is a mixed to roughish ground rod will cope with clean ground,but rarely will a clean ground rod cope well in the mixed to rough.happy hunting for that new rod... happy rod hunting
Rockhopper

Might I suggest the century fireblade well within your budget and a gem if a rod for £250ish.
I have seen these rods in action quite a few times,ranging from reef marks to battery point e.t.c and handle large smoothounds, to big rays e.t.c exceptionally well.. personally I would have a pair myself for rock/reef/mixed to rough ground,and above all light..
A beauty of a rod in my opinion,i believe they can be used with fixed spool as well,I stand corrected if not...proof of the pudding si-fly has had a lot of quality fish on them.worth every penny I would go as far to say,if course the choice is yours
I suppose worth remembering is a mixed to roughish ground rod will cope with clean ground,but rarely will a clean ground rod cope well in the mixed to rough.happy hunting for that new rod... happy rod hunting
Rockhopper
It did cross my mind the fire blade option.
I’ll have an ask at the club and see if anyone’s got one I could have a go with.?

Back