• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North East Arghhhh nightmare

Stevie69

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Got to my destination at 7.25 tonight but couldn't get on the sand bar I wanted to be on but the tide was still tide still ebbing so I was about 100 yards to the right of it fishing into a gully I couldn't could hold bottom as soon as the grip lead 7oz stuck in the under tow was pulling it out and swinging me round to the right 🤬.low water was at 8.40. I managed to get across on the sand bar about 8.10 first chuck feeling confident I wasn't getting dragged allover.IMG20221222203314.jpg I'd chucked a big bait out of blacks and cart wingIMG20221222201602.jpgand waited after 15 mins the rod tip went nuts banging like hell picked the rod up and struck on the second pull and low and behold snagged up🤬. Let some line out and waited about ten mins all the while the rod was banging like hell so walked back to pull the plug out and line snapped at the shock leader 🤬. Changed my reel over and low and behold I had no rotten bottom rigs left in my wallet 🤬. I raked around my box and no 15 lb line to make any 🤬.I ended up losing 4 shock leaders and 7 rigs 🤬the only rig I managed to get back to my feet had me knackered winding it in. On the end of the hook was a 4lb tampon seaweed and bits of plastic bags🤬. By this time the tide had turned and was starting to wash over where I was stood so time to go, good job I did as the water behind me in the gully was waist deep😲 it came in that fast. There was 2 lads about 500 yards to the left of me I don't know if they got anything but it looked like they were having a bit of a nightmare as well as their lights were on every 5 mins and could see them pulling there nuts off getting out of snags. So a lesson learned tonight check my rig wallet before I go and check I've got 15 lb line in my box. Oh well theres always tomorrow 🙂.

Rough night mate. Think I'd be switching over to 60lb+ braid straight through, 30lb rotten bottom and "bendy" hooks. You usually get something back then

Another great write up Stevie - shame about the loss of Gear. 10/10 for trying. 🎣🎣👍👍

I'd have given up & gone home after I lost the first one, unless I had my spare reel with me. I never carry any spare leaders.

There have been many discussions about shock leaders, which has lead me to wonder about trying a tapered one, but most of the tapered ones seem to be around 18Lb at the thin end, so using 26Lb mono, that strikes me as creating a weak spot at the start of the leader. 🤔🤔

Another great write up Stevie - shame about the loss of Gear. 10/10 for trying. 🎣🎣👍👍

I'd have given up & gone home after I lost the first one, unless I had my spare reel with me. I never carry any spare leaders.

There have been many discussions about shock leaders, which has lead me to wonder about trying a tapered one, but most of the tapered ones seem to be around 18Lb at the thin end, so using 26Lb mono, that strikes me as creating a weak spot at the start of the leader. 🤔🤔
When I used tapered leaders, I used to cut off the first couple of meters to get back to something similar to the main line. The leaders are usually long enough to do that. I don't use them now, but Solent weed is a problem, when its about, on the leader knot and top eye with a straight leader.

Hard lines, with your session. With the cart wings do you just whip it straight onto the hook with the lug already on?
Yeah that's what I do but always at the back of the hook / hooks (pennel rig) the more hook showing the better. I normally get the wings wrapped in cling film, some times I leave it wrapped and stab the shit out of it with one of the wires on the grip lead so it releases the scent slowly.

We all get sessions like that mate. Eventually the luck will swing in your favour. Keep at it, great read though mate.

Back