• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Back at it ...

CKB

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I decided to nip out last night just before midnight at the Maseline Harbour. It's really taking a lot to get motivated to fish at this time of year, alone. To be honest, I have missed the bait fishing this year, with that damn rotator-cuff injury that lasted nine months. However, I am not sure last night was the best time to get back into it all. The weather has left me not even wanting to pop the rubbish out, let alone stand down the harbour for half of the night. I was spoilt with the Outer Banks weather in November. It was beautiful in Orkney, where I was last week on a shooting trip, and I missed not having the rods up there.
This morning was a disaster; I had the target bull huss of 11-6, 7-12 and 7-9, with the first one being a bruiser, as well as a nice-sized squid which put up a great fight on my 8-20g HRF rod. Whatever I have done with my camera settings or the abysmal lighting conditions down there meant I spent half the night frigging around with the camera, trying to work out why every shot on the self-timer, was coming out over exposed. I also don't know why the flash was firing before the shutter when using the remote. I have a feeling the reflective strips on my smock were perhaps related to it, messing with the sensors, or the ambient light was wrong. I might shoot manual next time.
Cuttle baits worked well, as did whole scad which I caught in September and froze them down. I think I might do some passing next, just with a single rod, there was nothing great about the slow trudge up that hill at 4am with too many clothes on, in a miserable mood.
I have a bit of footage on GoPro, which I may well pop some clips up of.

Huss 3.jpg
Cuttle Bait 556.jpgSquid Reel Fiiish 3.jpg

t1200.jpgScad 1.jpgHuss 7-12 - 1.jpgSquid Reel Fiiish 5.jpgHuss 7 -9_.jpgt1000.jpgHuss 1 Floor.jpg

Nice report CKB, and the photos look good to me. Some lovely Huss there, especially the first photo. 🎣🎣👍👍

I hope you put that "tiddler" back Chris.. 🤣

Great report mate, some fantastic Huss, and lovely pics too, nice one.🎣🎣

Ian.

Wow, we have clear skies at the mo. Kin chilly though ❄️

Nice one Chris! Hope the injury is improving?
It feels 100%. It just magically healed when I gave up on the Dr’s advice. I massaged it, did some meditation, and decided to work out through the pain. It just healed up a week or two before my US trip. I feel very fortunate that I didn’t need an op,

Now just need to persuade someone else to come to some conger and bass spots this winter. Motivation isn’t strong.

Cheers.

Back