• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Back in the groove.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After last week’s blank I was keen to get back on the bass trail, but with 2 days of shark fishing booked in Penzance on Friday and Saturday, I would only have one chance this week. The weather gods had other ideas though, and as I parked up at my mark on Tuesday evening, I received a message telling me that Penzance was off 😭. After looking forward to it for over a year, the forecast was giving 2 days of south westerlies gusting to 30mph+, pretty much for just for the days we were booked on the boat, with calm weather on either side 🤬. I was of course gutted, but at least I was out fishing, rather than just sitting at home and moping.

I wish I could say that the action was non-stop, and that I completely forgot about the disappointment of the earlier news, but sport was actually quite slow. I did catch one bass though, a 37cm schoolie which took a Line-Thru Seeker fished at distance (y).
Bass - 129 2023.jpg

With an unexpected fish in daylight, for only the second time at the mark, I was feeling confident that darkness would bring plenty of action, surprisingly though, as the light levels dropped things remained on the quiet side 🤔.

With low water at around 23:15, my plan was to fish it down to low and an hour back up again, so I still had plenty of time and finally, 2 hours after my first fish I was in again, with another identical fish at 37cm again 😊.
Bass - 130 2023.jpg

Sadly this was my last fish of the session, and despite another couple of hits, the bass’s aim was off and they both failed to hook up. I was still quite happy though, as after what I hoped was a minor hiccup, I was catching again 😉.

With no packing to be done, I was now at a loose end on Wednesday evening and with Thursday off work, it seemed a shame not to make the most of it, so I headed out again. The choice of mark was the same as on Tuesday, but this time I wouldn’t be able to get to my chosen feature until an hour later.

With time to kill, I decided to start my hunt on a patch of rough ground about a mile away, but despite having caught there earlier in the year, all was quiet now and the only sign of life I saw was when something small swirled at, and missed my baby Patch.

After an hour it was time to make the move to my preferred mark, and I arrived there at the perfect time to wade out to the ground where the bass hold. Once there I clipped on the Salt Skimmer and incredibly, on only the second cast it was hit 😮. Given its size, the fish put up a very decent scrap and I must admit to being quite shocked when I saw how small it was 😄. Despite it being a 34cm tiddler though, I was more than happy to be off the mark again 👍.
Bass - 131 2023.jpg

Once more I hoped that sport would improve after dark, but again I was to be a left frustrated when things didn’t turn out as I had hoped ☹️. This time I had more hits than I had on Tuesday, but frustratingly they were all just single hits which missed the hook every time, I persevered though and eventually my luck changed.

Yet again a bass hit my Mishna without making contact with the hook, and again I kept reeling, hoping that the attacker would come back, and this time it did! 😲 For the next 20 seconds or so I kept reeling in slowly, and I clearly felt a series of nips at the lure, until about 5 meters from the shore, when the fish decided enough was enough and finally smashed it.

Though I had been surprised by how well the earlier tiddler had fought, I could tell immediately that this was a better fish, so I took my time in playing it. It wasn’t a monster by any means, but when I finally slid it ashore I was still more than my happy with a half decent fish of 54cm, my biggest fish since mid-June and my best yet from this particular mark 🥳.
Bass - 132 2023.jpg

After this bonus I was hopeful that there might be more to come, but just as on Tuesday the floodgates never did open, and again I had to settle for just the 2 bass. I wasn’t too disappointed though as after a single blank I was back in the groove once more 😊, but I’m still gutted about Penzance 😢.

Great report mate, nice spikes as well... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Cheers for the replies all (y).

I'm taking one of my boys out on the lures tonight, so the pressure is really on 😅.

Back