• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Back in the office!

Plaicehunter

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After a frustrating week of terrible weather and one hand being in a splint, today I was back in 'the office', as my wife wittily calls my boat.
The mark I fished normally does best on the flood, and starting at 9am there was not much tide left till high water. Still, as long as there's bait in the water...
I fished three rods: a two-hook flapper for whiting, a pulley pennell with whole squid for cod and a live pouting down the side for anything big and predatory.
The water looked pretty brown though there was actually about 15" of visibility - not that it matters much in 70 feet of water!
It was a grey, murky day with occasional rain but it felt so good to be back out on the water.
In winter, the Tamar can throw up a cod, a big bass, a ray or a huge eel at any time, and from the boat you have a good chance of landing it, as you are pulling it up and away from the snags.
Nothing spectacular came aboard today: three straps, a big doggie, two whiting and assorted pout and poor cod.
But it was great just being there with the ever-present chance of a good fish.
With improving weather and tides over the festive season, I expect to be out again in 'Piranha' very soon.
Merry Christmas everyone! PH

Given all the flood water in the Tamar I would say that was a cracking session, well done. Hopefully, fresh water levels will drop over the holidays and fishing will improve again.

Given all the flood water in the Tamar I would say that was a cracking session, well done. Hopefully, fresh water levels will drop over the holidays and fishing will improve again.
I wonder if heavy rain affects deep estuaries like the Tamar as much as we think? The section below the Torpoint ferries must be mostly sea water, and doesn't fresh water float on top of salt, being less dense? You would imagine fish at the bottom of the deep areas might be unaffected if that's the case. PH

I wonder if heavy rain affects deep estuaries like the Tamar as much as we think? The section below the Torpoint ferries must be mostly sea water, and doesn't fresh water float on top of salt, being less dense? You would imagine fish at the bottom of the deep areas might be unaffected if that's the case. PH
I would agree with the logic, but, my catches have always been better in low flood water conditions. Fishing after heavy rain has seen my catches not only drop, but, the type of fish caught change, mainly it would be the small pout and whiting that get caught and not the bigger more interesting fish. Then again the Tamar is such a cruel mistress to fish the flood water could be purely coincidental.

There are a lot more people who invest hundreds of hours a year more than me into the Tamar, it would be interesting to know there thoughts.

Well done on getting out and catching, guess you was lucky not catching a monster with one arm all strapped up.

Back