• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Back on the wrasse

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
It was raining as I drove towards North Cornwall on Sunday morning, despite none being forecast ?
Typical, I thought, as I’d taken a chance and borrowed Bruce Grobbelar’s short shorts for what would probably be one of their last summer outings.

It also didn’t help that I’d set the alarm for 4am but woke up at 5.50 thinking ‘shouldn’t the alarm have gone off by now?’

Traffic was still light though - only had to overtake one camper van and a couple of biddies, so not TOO bad and I was on the mark by 9.

Wrasse were the target again, after a successful comp-winning trip a couple of weeks ago and yes, this weekend was also a comp, 48 hours and you may have seen my report on the (unsuccessful) Friday night bass session.

This time, I’d remembered to bring the bag in the freezer containing spider crab peeler legs and normal peeler, which I’d forgotten previously.
The mainstay of the bait was pre-peeled spiders, which worked well last time.
Funnily enough, although triggerfish like them, I’ve otherwise had next to nothing on spider legs.

Unfortunately the actual spiders were still rock solid so I took a couple out to defrost in the muggy air and quickly swooshed some spider legs and a couple of normal peeler in a rock pool to give me enough bait for a first cast.

I’d barely poured a coffee when… bzzzzzz! A ratchet was going and I turned around to see the spider legs rod bent double.
Naturally I missed it ?
Got the gear back (one of few today I did) and quickly rebaited with more legs and put it in roughly the same spot.

This time it took a few more minutes but soon enough it was bent over again with a wrasse bite. They do hit it!

She wasn’t huge, just under 2lb maybe, and got her back as quickly as I could without weighing.

C6DB0BFB-F328-42EB-8037-6262D7F55405.jpeg

The Rapala sling-cum-unhooking mat is pretty big, btw, and can take a double figure hound easily enough, so a wrasse is dwarfed in it.
In hindsight I should have taken my smaller sling, or as well as, because weighing a smaller fish in a huge sling is very awkward!

Obviously spider legs were now my all-time favourite new bait (this week anyway) and I was regretting the dozens of legs I’d not bothered keeping while peeling spiders ? (plenty more in the freezer though!)

Sure enough, I got another bite on them, then another (which I missed, obviously ?)
It was one of those sessions when clearly fish were there but they weren’t quite jumping on your hooks.
Lots of small wrasse nibbling the baits to buggery as well.

But then I had a cracking bite and struck into something much better.
It was clearly trying to stay in the kelp and I could feel much grating of the line until I eventually got it into open water.
It gave a good account of itself and when it surfaced…. was this the much longed for 5lb plus fish?

As I swung it up to the rock there was a round of applause and cheers to seaward!
A tourist sightseeing RiB had stopped to watch the show ???
Unless they were cheering the Fishmeister wearing Bruce’s shorts and not much else, but I doubt it ???

I swear it looked bigger than the 4lber I’d had there previously but after weighing the sling and zeroing the scales, it does didn’t live up to first impressions and went 3lb 15 and 1/2.
Ah well, it was a high 80s percentage fish on the board anyway.
(Yes I need a shave…)

CD64FD38-A7E6-4F9A-A469-2182193A1357.jpeg

And new shorts ?

I had another fish after that which I weighed very quickly without zeroing the sling and it was just about 3lb, so didn’t bother recording that as I knew at the very least someone had already weighed in a huss on a par with my existing wrasse.

As high tide approached I tried a bit of feathering with my float/flattie rod and two feathers, after reeling in one bottom rod (well, getting snagged and snapping off), because any large mackerel I caught would then be legal for the comp (max two rods, three hooks).
No mackie anyway. I didn’t do it for long, so tedious…

The until then reasonably light SW wind suddenly decided to shift around a bit and become MUCH stronger.
Plus a fair amount of spray was flying up. I wasn’t wearing much so cared nothing for getting wet but I didn’t want my phone or scales wet, so decided to move around the point to a sheltered spot.

That was slow. I had a strap, then one wrasse a pound and a bit or so.
Nope, no good. So I moved back about halfway towards where I’d just come from.

So frustrating. Had about three screamer bites there and all ended up under a ledge that was just in front of me.
Got two sets of gear back and one snapped off, but no signs of fish in any case, apart from the bites.

The wind dropped again. And the sun came out for a couple of hours! The forecast said next to no sun all day ?

So sod it, back to where I’d started for an hour or two. That spot had gone dead before I moved, whether because of the tide state or the fish had become spooked, I’m not sure?

It was back to missing bites, or getting one decent bite then when I picked the rod up, nothing.

Eventually I landed one more wrasse, no weight but I guessed about 1lb 8-12.

09C9EEBA-6199-4F38-BD42-EC376C30DDB6.jpeg

I’d more or less had enough and it was a long climb/walk back, then a long drive home, so I let the last two casts soak a bit, pulled one in and feathered for no more than 10 minutes (still no mackerel), then set off on the hike back.

I took a tin full of leads down and went back with about three - I reckon I must have lost 14 or so ??‍♂️
Par for the course, can’t be helped when the fish you’re after live in rocks and kelp, but it does rather make the wallet wince somewhat! Dusty shall be receiving a new order very very soon…

I do like this mark. It’s ‘relatively’ easy to get to (as long as you’re part goat) and certainly holds wrasse.
However, today I heard about a mark just along the coast so might have to check that one out next time, I do like new marks! ?

Thanks for reading y’all! Oh, I didn’t get a placing in the comp this time ?

Oh yes, and very bizarrely, my mate fished local to try for triggers and had a wrasse… that weighed 3lb 15 and 1/2oz…. Lol…

@Mr Fish
Having stayed at Bude for a fair number of times and once fished at Duckpool without success, only my daughter breaking a reel there.
Where do you call North Cornwall?

@Mr Fish
Having stayed at Bude for a fair number of times and once fished at Duckpool without success, only my daughter breaking a reel there.
Where do you call North Cornwall?
Well, anywhere on the north coast, technically. In this case it was down past Boscastle somewhat.

Not trying to be deliberately vague or secret squirrel but the mark was kindly shared with me by Dave @The Third Earl and obviously I don’t want to be too specific in case he’d rather it wasn’t broadcast too much.

FWIW, I find the Bude area too shallow for wrasse although the surf beaches are good for rays and bass after dark though I’ve never tried for them there as got all that much closer to home.

Thanks @Mr Fish just wondered where, as Bude is pretty far North.
What i seen of Bude as far as i can remember was very sandy with pretty high tides.
I never fished it as too busy at time with kids but did try Duckpool with a lure as i recall and bail arm broke on cheap reel daughter was using, and i just pulled line in by hand to save lure, which cost more than reel and line about 20 years ago.

Thanks @Mr Fish just wondered where, as Bude is pretty far North.
What i seen of Bude as far as i can remember was very sandy with pretty high tides.
I never fished it as too busy at time with kids but did try Duckpool with a lure as i recall and bail arm broke on cheap reel daughter was using, and i just pulled line in by hand to save lure, which cost more than reel and line about 20 years ago.
Yes it’s all shallow up that end. Need to drive on for another 45 minutes or so lol.
There are some rock marks but one I tried previously was just too shallow and awkward, don’t think I’ll be back there!

I think the beaches are pretty good for bass but unless you hike out the way it’s a nighttime game really.

Btw, two blokes out snorkelling and spearfishing came back with two good sized bass about 4-5lb.
Fair play to them, they spent a lot of time out there after them and diving, was watching them for about two hours

Another good report Tony - great reading! ????

Great report Mr Fish.
I got upset last night when I lost TWO leads. I'd have packed up long before getting to double figures but probably explains why my biggest wrasse is about two pounds!

It was raining as I drove towards North Cornwall on Sunday morning, despite none being forecast ?
Typical, I thought, as I’d taken a chance and borrowed Bruce Grobbelar’s short shorts for what would probably be one of their last summer outings.

It also didn’t help that I’d set the alarm for 4am but woke up at 5.50 thinking ‘shouldn’t the alarm have gone off by now?’

Traffic was still light though - only had to overtake one camper van and a couple of biddies, so not TOO bad and I was on the mark by 9.

Wrasse were the target again, after a successful comp-winning trip a couple of weeks ago and yes, this weekend was also a comp, 48 hours and you may have seen my report on the (unsuccessful) Friday night bass session.

This time, I’d remembered to bring the bag in the freezer containing spider crab peeler legs and normal peeler, which I’d forgotten previously.
The mainstay of the bait was pre-peeled spiders, which worked well last time.
Funnily enough, although triggerfish like them, I’ve otherwise had next to nothing on spider legs.

Unfortunately the actual spiders were still rock solid so I took a couple out to defrost in the muggy air and quickly swooshed some spider legs and a couple of normal peeler in a rock pool to give me enough bait for a first cast.

I’d barely poured a coffee when… bzzzzzz! A ratchet was going and I turned around to see the spider legs rod bent double.
Naturally I missed it ?
Got the gear back (one of few today I did) and quickly rebaited with more legs and put it in roughly the same spot.

This time it took a few more minutes but soon enough it was bent over again with a wrasse bite. They do hit it!

She wasn’t huge, just under 2lb maybe, and got her back as quickly as I could without weighing.

View attachment 31196

The Rapala sling-cum-unhooking mat is pretty big, btw, and can take a double figure hound easily enough, so a wrasse is dwarfed in it.
In hindsight I should have taken my smaller sling, or as well as, because weighing a smaller fish in a huge sling is very awkward!

Obviously spider legs were now my all-time favourite new bait (this week anyway) and I was regretting the dozens of legs I’d not bothered keeping while peeling spiders ? (plenty more in the freezer though!)

Sure enough, I got another bite on them, then another (which I missed, obviously ?)
It was one of those sessions when clearly fish were there but they weren’t quite jumping on your hooks.
Lots of small wrasse nibbling the baits to buggery as well.

But then I had a cracking bite and struck into something much better.
It was clearly trying to stay in the kelp and I could feel much grating of the line until I eventually got it into open water.
It gave a good account of itself and when it surfaced…. was this the much longed for 5lb plus fish?

As I swung it up to the rock there was a round of applause and cheers to seaward!
A tourist sightseeing RiB had stopped to watch the show ???
Unless they were cheering the Fishmeister wearing Bruce’s shorts and not much else, but I doubt it ???

I swear it looked bigger than the 4lber I’d had there previously but after weighing the sling and zeroing the scales, it does didn’t live up to first impressions and went 3lb 15 and 1/2.
Ah well, it was a high 80s percentage fish on the board anyway.
(Yes I need a shave…)

View attachment 31197

And new shorts ?

I had another fish after that which I weighed very quickly without zeroing the sling and it was just about 3lb, so didn’t bother recording that as I knew at the very least someone had already weighed in a huss on a par with my existing wrasse.

As high tide approached I tried a bit of feathering with my float/flattie rod and two feathers, after reeling in one bottom rod (well, getting snagged and snapping off), because any large mackerel I caught would then be legal for the comp (max two rods, three hooks).
No mackie anyway. I didn’t do it for long, so tedious…

The until then reasonably light SW wind suddenly decided to shift around a bit and become MUCH stronger.
Plus a fair amount of spray was flying up. I wasn’t wearing much so cared nothing for getting wet but I didn’t want my phone or scales wet, so decided to move around the point to a sheltered spot.

That was slow. I had a strap, then one wrasse a pound and a bit or so.
Nope, no good. So I moved back about halfway towards where I’d just come from.

So frustrating. Had about three screamer bites there and all ended up under a ledge that was just in front of me.
Got two sets of gear back and one snapped off, but no signs of fish in any case, apart from the bites.

The wind dropped again. And the sun came out for a couple of hours! The forecast said next to no sun all day ?

So sod it, back to where I’d started for an hour or two. That spot had gone dead before I moved, whether because of the tide state or the fish had become spooked, I’m not sure?

It was back to missing bites, or getting one decent bite then when I picked the rod up, nothing.

Eventually I landed one more wrasse, no weight but I guessed about 1lb 8-12.

View attachment 31198

I’d more or less had enough and it was a long climb/walk back, then a long drive home, so I let the last two casts soak a bit, pulled one in and feathered for no more than 10 minutes (still no mackerel), then set off on the hike back.

I took a tin full of leads down and went back with about three - I reckon I must have lost 14 or so ??‍♂️
Par for the course, can’t be helped when the fish you’re after live in rocks and kelp, but it does rather make the wallet wince somewhat! Dusty shall be receiving a new order very very soon…

I do like this mark. It’s ‘relatively’ easy to get to (as long as you’re part goat) and certainly holds wrasse.
However, today I heard about a mark just along the coast so might have to check that one out next time, I do like new marks! ?

Thanks for reading y’all! Oh, I didn’t get a placing in the comp this time ?

Oh yes, and very bizarrely, my mate fished local to try for triggers and had a wrasse… that weighed 3lb 15 and 1/2oz…. Lol…
Very interesting report. Haven’t fished for wrasse in Cornwall for many years now but used to seek out the many deep gullies on the open coast not far from Polruan and they always used to produce decent wrasse on worm. Maybe there were more around then before the commercial boys started using them for pot bait.

I don't like moving, it is such a faff, but at times the right thing to do. Sounds like you were pretty mobile. Well done you and l hope you get your 5lber.
It wasn’t especially far to move, just around one side of a rocky point to the next, but it still meant picking everything up, mostly I did it in two or three trips.

But if not much is happening there’s no point sitting there for hours not getting much.

Especially with wrasse as generally they’re either there or they’re not, though obviously state of tide will dictate their feeding habits, as with any fish.
But if I fish for an hour and very little is happening, it’s time to move on!

Great report Mr Fish.
I got upset last night when I lost TWO leads. I'd have packed up long before getting to double figures but probably explains why my biggest wrasse is about two pounds!
?? it doesn’t fill me with joy either but if I want the fish that live in kelp and rocks I need to be prepared to lose gear and lots of it.

In an ideal world, disposable weights are the way to go but it’s what you have access to.
Spark plugs is one option but a single plug is too light, and I don’t have access to a pile of spark plugs anyway.
In times past I have collected pebbles and wrapped them in a wire mesh cage, which worked fine, but…. They’re bulky as a 4oz pebble is much bigger than a 4oz lead. And you’ve got to collect them. And you’ve got to sit there for quite some time cutting the mesh and twisting it around the pebbles.

I am always on the look out for disposable alternatives though!

Losing that many leads in a session is fairly extreme, some days it’s just a handful, but I have to be prepared that it may happen.

Very interesting report. Haven’t fished for wrasse in Cornwall for many years now but used to seek out the many deep gullies on the open coast not far from Polruan and they always used to produce decent wrasse on worm. Maybe there were more around then before the commercial boys started using them for pot bait.
Cheers mate. Ooh that’s way down south isn’t it? Not been there myself.
They may still be there!
I think generally there’s less pressure on the north coast plus of course it’s close enough to North Devon that the drive isn’t TOO painful!

So many places to explore though and also with the high cliffs, it’s knowing where you can actually get access, let alone find somewhere to park…

Good report Tony.

Seems you have cracked the mark now, as far as leads go , I always take shedloads with me, I make them myself by the hundred so never feel the pain when one vanishes.

As you say, most of the North Cornwall marks are high cliffs, so you need a mountain goat head on your shoulders . I am used to them and it seems you are no stranger either.

There is no substitute for experience in such places, and it is never wise to become complacent . I am almost 70 now (3 months to go ) and will still do the marks, but may just take the one rod in future .

Oh, I will give the shorts a miss as well.

Have you thought about wearing a mankini when fishing , not so much to dry then ????.

Dave

Good report Tony.

Seems you have cracked the mark now, as far as leads go , I always take shedloads with me, I make them myself by the hundred so never feel the pain when one vanishes.

As you say, most of the North Cornwall marks are high cliffs, so you need a mountain goat head on your shoulders . I am used to them and it seems you are no stranger either.

There is no substitute for experience in such places, and it is never wise to become complacent . I am almost 70 now (3 months to go ) and will still do the marks, but may just take the one rod in future .

Oh, I will give the shorts a miss as well.

Have you thought about wearing a mankini when fishing , not so much to dry then ????.

Dave
Thanks Dave! Yes I think I’ve got my head around it now.
Time to start casting my net wider and looking for new spots. I’m beginning to suspect the size of wrasse I’ve had there is generally about its limit, so the hunt continues!

A mankini eh? Hmm…. ?

Tbh, those shorts are a stop gap. My preferred pair split up the arse this summer and I had those in the drawer so they got pressed into service.
I’ve only really got back into sea swimming and snorkelling this past two summers, so ‘Bruce’s shorts’ will see out this season and then I’m in the market for some new ones!

Back