• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bait ,...

goose

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Just thinking about baits I've used over what is the best part of fifty years. All the obvious ones , rag, lug, Mac, squid, crab, muscle , sandeel.
Muscle was good when I lived in Ireland but rarely use it here on the south coast. Here it's always lug and squid when the whiting are in. Rag and crab egg or the bass. Mackerel or rag or both for rays and crab including hermit for hounds. I've used sandeel on occasion but I honestly don't ever remember catching much on it. Baits shops are selling several different fish baits now and I see blogs using bluey but don't see many people using and catching on them. What works in your area and am I missing out or just stick to what I know.

Like you, I have been beach fishing for over 52 years, and always in my local area, black lug, blow lug, rag, sandeels, squid and good old slipper limpet works for me. Stick to what works for you I say.

Ian.

For convenience, bluey is a very good bait for rays.👍
I won't be buying any more though, as I no longer buy commercially caught fish (unless it's caught on rod and reel) but that's my choice 👍

The best baits are already what we know in my opinion. Freshness will give an edge, most of what I see for sale I wouldn't want to give to a cat/dog lol 😆 stick to what you know I'd say.

Only fish for cod/codling in winter now and if could choose one bait from nov to end of season it would be live blacks and bigger the better, if forced to fish one frozen bait for same squid and a big one.
Stick to what works consistently and a old favourite for me.

Blow lug used to be plentiful on my local beaches but with all the sea defences being increased over the last three decades it can be impossible to find areas worth the effort now. A lot of the tackle shops sell rag worm but although they don't like to advertise it most are selling farmed stuff and prices are getting silly. Black lug I've seen some charging £7.50 a wrap and others at £3.75 . The local river used to be alive with peeler ,red rag and shrimp at the right time of year but is virtually dead now.

Mainly Rag & Squid. Have used frozen Mackerel in the past, but not buying any more now, unless I pop into Morrisons for some, or catch some fresh in the summer.

The last Frozen Mackerel I bought stank for weeks on my fishing clothes, probably from wiping hands on trouser legs!
Twas the smell from Hell!
It came from a local tackle shop and had been frozen whole (not gutted) so I think that was why.
Used 1 pack and gave the other two away. Not buying any more of that.

Crikey, I’ve used a few baits over the years, fishing purely the south coast.
My go to baits are obviously either black lug or yellow tails (pump my own) used as “fresh outs” what is left over gets wrapped and frozen for winter fishing (lug/squid wraps)
Catch and freeze a handful of mackerel for autumn fishing
Fresh whiting used as a flapper through the autumn/winter
Pilchards and squid wrap for ray fishing, the Squid I get from the local oriental market as washed calamari as this seems to fish better than dirty squid?
Maybe use shellfish after storms but not always.
Have used sandeel but no joy.

Crikey, I’ve used a few baits over the years, fishing purely the south coast.
My go to baits are obviously either black lug or yellow tails (pump my own) used as “fresh outs” what is left over gets wrapped and frozen for winter fishing (lug/squid wraps)
Catch and freeze a handful of mackerel for autumn fishing
Fresh whiting used as a flapper through the autumn/winter
Pilchards and squid wrap for ray fishing, the Squid I get from the local oriental market as washed calamari as this seems to fish better than dirty squid?
Maybe use shellfish after storms but not always.
Have used sandeel but no joy.
forgot to mention that frozen shelled king prawns have been a reliable bait for smoothies when I feel like it.
Seems to be an upcoming bait on equal terms with crab baits!

Does anyone use Pilchard oil anymore? Many years ago it was really common to see a bottle of it when people were fishing we used it regularly but i have not seen a bottle of it for many years. Certianly dont miss the horrendous stench.

Does anyone use Pilchard oil anymore? Many years ago it was really common to see a bottle of it when people were fishing we used it regularly but i have not seen a bottle of it for many years. Certianly dont miss the horrendous stench.
Used to use salmon oil mashed in a loaf of bread and then thrown against the wall in the harbour at low tide and then gradually as the water rises A freelined bit of bread was dropped in close to it.

Just thinking about baits I've used over what is the best part of fifty years. All the obvious ones , rag, lug, Mac, squid, crab, muscle , sandeel.
Muscle was good when I lived in Ireland but rarely use it here on the south coast. Here it's always lug and squid when the whiting are in. Rag and crab egg or the bass. Mackerel or rag or both for rays and crab including hermit for hounds. I've used sandeel on occasion but I honestly don't ever remember catching much on it. Baits shops are selling several different fish baits now and I see blogs using bluey but don't see many people using and catching on them. What works in your area and am I missing out or just stick to what I know.
Over here in Northern Ireland the best bait I've used to catch Ray is Hern (Herring). Best Bait for Conger is Pouting. I swear te ye my Da was getting bites one day on cheesy wotsits😄 now the wotsits had been lying in the back of my Da"s car for donkeys but it's the truth🤪

Mark...👍

Over here in Northern Ireland the best bait I've used to catch Ray is Hern (Herring). Best Bait for Conger is Pouting. I swear te ye my Da was getting bites one day on cheesy wotsits😄 now the wotsits had been lying in the back of my Da"s car for donkeys but it's the truth🤪

Mark...👍
Surprised they didn’t melt..😬

Surprised they didn’t melt..😬
I think they did but with lying in the motor they had gone soft and sticky, my Da just done it for a laugh like, but the rod did show bites lol

Mark...

Back