• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bait ,...

My two favourites are nice fresh angry ragworm and the frills from scallops.
I've heard Scallop frills are excellent bait. There used to be a Scallop processing place here, and you could get loads of them for nowt, but it closed years ago. No idea where you'd get them now.

I find bait very area specific. For eg sandeel is a good ray bait of course but I wouldn’t bother with it further up the BC for targeting thornies.

Smoothies like ragworm but here we tend to find crab and then squid are the best baits.

Black lug here won’t do a lot and it’s not found in many places locally.

As Tat says, fresh mackerel is hard to beat as an all rounder.

In the estuary here targeting flounder, if you haven’t got harbour rag it’s not even worth getting out of bed. I know elsewhere lug is the go to bait for them.

I’ve persisted trying razor fish as they are found locally, but yet to catch a fish on them here.

Also some baits can be very seasonal, presumably because that’s what the fish are expecting to find.

It’s all about knowing the marks you fish and what works, though generally the mainstays of mackerel, squid and lug will be a good foundation for many areas.

Used to use salmon oil mashed in a loaf of bread and then thrown against the wall in the harbour at low tide and then gradually as the water rises A freelined bit of bread was dropped in close to it.

Used to dunk deadbaits in it when pike fishing. Not used it for twenty five years..🥺
Found it.! 😁
Not salmon oil but...... A rather old bottle of pilchard oil that I've got lurking about the place.
IMG20240418184225.jpg

I've heard Scallop frills are excellent bait. There used to be a Scallop processing place here, and you could get loads of them for nowt, but it closed years ago. No idea where you'd get them now.
Frills are like crack cocaine to fish. If you have a local fishmonger ask them nicely, many folk love scallops but can't be arsed shucking them at home, fishmonger may keep them for you if your a regular customer. Same goes for mackerel heads if you're into bassing or conger fishing.

I find bait very area specific. For eg sandeel is a good ray bait of course but I wouldn’t bother with it further up the BC for targeting thornies.

Smoothies like ragworm but here we tend to find crab and then squid are the best baits.

Black lug here won’t do a lot and it’s not found in many places locally.

As Tat says, fresh mackerel is hard to beat as an all rounder.

In the estuary here targeting flounder, if you haven’t got harbour rag it’s not even worth getting out of bed. I know elsewhere lug is the go to bait for them.

I’ve persisted trying razor fish as they are found locally, but yet to catch a fish on them here.

Also some baits can be very seasonal, presumably because that’s what the fish are expecting to find.

It’s all about knowing the marks you fish and what works, though generally the mainstays of mackerel, squid and lug will be a good foundation for many areas.
The guys up here catching bass will change between peeler crab and live sand eel

Used most baits but sandeel and squid or anchovy cocktails are my go to ray baits. Bluey a good bait and rays love it. Crab always scores down my way hounds wrasse bass especially around estuary mouth flounder plaice all take it. Find early season cod love it but later on worm baits(blacks) are a go to. Squid is a go to up the bc for cod. Mac always picks up fish and can’t beat a head and guts in close.
The choice is so wide but one area of the beach will fish better with certain baits than another area. A few companies used to do scallop frills and fished with blacks the plaice seem to love it.

Back