• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Baked in Somerset

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Not done a report for awhile. Not been out for a while!

It was a bit of an experiment, small tide, hot day, but I wanted to get out.

Bait was rag in the hope of a sole, plus hounds will take it too, interspersed with the odd peeler and whole squid.

It was a fairly short window, especially as the grockle train of traffic to get there took forever.

Anyway, a double helping of rag wasn’t out very long when I had a few rattling bites followed by a bit of a pull down.
I suspected it was one of the green eels that can infest the North Somerset coast in the summer and yep, so it was.

No picture of Mr Eel as I was too busy trying to extract him from the slimey mess he’d made of the trace.

This was the aftermath. I did untangle it though - thank feck for Amnesia.

336C64FC-9E33-400F-B159-4A8812D1783B.jpeg

Shortly after, another bite, bit of a slack liner, turned out to be a little schoolie.

A1960C57-72E4-4099-937B-4BE7C8664EC6.jpeg

That was it for a bit and it was roasting so I went and laid down in the water for a bit!
It was like a bath that far up channel.
Was actually more cooking when I got out again, with the breeze blowing lol.

I hoped it might kick off a bit on the ebb but unfortunately not.
I had another eel and another little bass and another dip, lol, then the water was draining out fast so chucked away the last of the rag and headed back to the car.

Got absolutely roasted by the sun though. You think you have enough base tan to build on, then you get a crazy hot day and burn all over again ?

Lots of after sun tonight!

Well done for getting out Tony! Couple of Slimys, couple of schoolies, can't be bad! ?? (y)(y)

You must be mad!!!
First joining the Grockle Train!!!
Then Hot sun and Mad Englishmen.
On the positive side you did actually catch something.
It’s going to get much Hotter in the coming days and nights.
Watch the sun, cover up you don’t want to get skin cancer!!!!

Bloody hard going all over down here at the moment, even the very good chesil anglers (not including myself in that group) are getting not a lot.
I was out in the boat yesterday just doing engine tests and getting on the new mooring and there were zero flats out there......
The water temp was 19.58 degrees at 3 miles!.
July has always been a tricky month and this year it looks even trickier....
Good to see some fishy pics!
Roll on next month as the nights get longer.

Bloody hard going all over down here at the moment, even the very good chesil anglers (not including myself in that group) are getting not a lot.
I was out in the boat yesterday just doing engine tests and getting on the new mooring and there were zero flats out there......
Time to stand down and clean up your tackle.
The fish will be suffering from heat and water stroke.
Wait till this heatwave passes.

Well done on the fish you had.
More sun block next time!
Thanks and yes agreed! Or any sun block ?

Usually I get just enough to add to the base but seriously underestimated the strength of it yesterday!

Shoulders and neck still feel sore but the rest of the red patches seem to be turning brown.
Whether they’ll stay on is another question!

Cheers Pete. There’s hounds up here but I haven’t been especially bothered to chase them this year.
Also for temporary health reasons I wanted to avoid anything that was too strenuous like climbing rocks.

Surprised Chesil has been so poor?

If I can, this week should see the start of the spider campaign but depends how I feel.

Ah it’s been a while since I caught a snooty eel , I haven’t missed them a bit , little buggers mess up your rigs Still on the bright side it was you who caught them ????ps well done on the bass

Thanks and yes agreed! Or any sun block ?

Usually I get just enough to add to the base but seriously underestimated the strength of it yesterday!

Shoulders and neck still feel sore but the rest of the red patches seem to be turning brown.
Whether they’ll stay on is another question!
If you are too brown???
Pop along to the beach with a boat, don’t speak English,
You will get 5 star hotel, air conditioning and all your meals for free, then a holiday in Rowanda

Ah it’s been a while since I caught a snooty eel , I haven’t missed them a bit , little buggers mess up your rigs Still on the bright side it was you who caught them ????ps well done on the bass
Unfortunately they’re rife in the mud to upper BC in the summer John.
I have two traces on the go and can (usually) untangle one while the other is fishing.

Well done on braving the scorchioooo weather to give it ago, glad you got a couple a fish from it and thats some patience unpicking the snotty mess (y) (y)

Well done on braving the scorchioooo weather to give it ago, glad you got a couple a fish from it and thats some patience unpicking the snotty mess (y) (y)
They’re not usually as bad as they look, the Amnesia springs back well.
A few minutes picking away usually sorts it while the other trace is fishing.

Not foolproof but mostly okay ?

That sounds like a tough session, but definitely the weather for fishing there (I can guess where you were). Personally I would only fish there on a building tide, preferably a spring, with high water into darkness. High light levels and shallow water makes for a tough session, not always true, as you can find the hounds in front of you sometimes but I much prefer to only fish when I have tide and lighting in my favour.

Back