• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

General Bang bang slack…

JordanClarke94

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As the autumn ray fishing fades. Cod become the target for most anglers. Stories of what it was like years gone by are the main topic of conversation. With everyone hoping they will return in numbers along with the whiting.

I’ve spend the last few weeks watching motionless rods tips. Hoping the live bait rigs I’ve cast out in anticipation have a whiting latched on to them. This type of fishing is a long waiting game. For one whiting are very thin on the ground at most marks. But also the gentle nod of the rod tips could indicate the ever present dogfish. Which you wouldn’t know until you reel in after hours of them tapping away. Quite disheartening to think you’ve wasted all that time waiting.

However my latest session was a little different. The 3 hook rod cast out close produced nothing. Not a good sign if you looking for pin whiting. Both big rods cast out at distance with small baits on live bait rigs, came back stripped every time. Not to be defeated though. I pushed through a flooded tide in the early hours of the morning. Hoping for that nod nod..

Plant Gesture Insect Finger Thumb

An hour before high the right hand rod indicated a bite in the racing tide. No different to a dogfish tapping away. But within 20 minutes this turned into a few heavy lunges and a load of slack line. Again not to be over optimistic but this technique can also catch big eels in the channel.

Fishing on your own never makes the task of landing fish any easier but I had no choice this time. I could feel the fish was heavy. Staying deep all the way in, to one point still being 20ft down at 10-15 metres out. The line gently vibrating through the rod as it was rubbing against the rocks below.

Now for most of my fishing I’m never without a net after a few lost fish a few years back fishing alone and this time was no different. I would have lost this fish if it wasn’t for the net. As the head came out of the water, I could see the cod was just lip hooked. As other hook was nestled in a whitings mouth. The rig had worked. All those hours sat waiting had finally payed off. A PB of 13lb 14oz.

Tight lines.

Reptile Tail Scaled reptile Fish Elbow

Fin Fish Marine biology Underwater Ray-finned fish

Brilliant!!! Welldone fella! Your patience paid off!!!!

Well done mate !!!
Cracking cod caught the right way , it must
give you great satisfaction when a plan works
Proper cod ... ?
Gray

Wow! Great work. That’s an amazing fish mate!

Lots of pin whiting down here….. no cod though!!

What a beast of a shore caught cod! :oops:

Massive congrats on a thoroughly deserved new PB ?.

Back