• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bare bones basic beach essentials?

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Good evening

I am a new member, apologies if this has been asked before.
Just starting sea fishing, moving across from coarse fishing after a long break from the sport (all my gear got nicked from my shed and I could never afford to replace it).
I did a bit of sea/estuary fishing around Morecambe Bay as a lad, mainly for flatties and eels.
Now living in Yorkshire and keen to explore the NE coast.
I have got the following so far:
Rod, reel, line, and tripod.

What else would you recommend for starting out for first trip in 3 weeks, regarding terminal tackle and essentials?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers :)

My advice would be talk to your local tackle shop,I would buy a few rigs ,a few weights, don't know what size you would need, Someone on here will probably be able to give you more advice mate

My advice would be talk to your local tackle shop,I would buy a few rigs ,a few weights, don't know what size you would need, Someone on here will probably be able to give you more advice mate
Cheers, much appreciated (y)

Welcome Tad, tight lines when you get all your fishing gear etc.(y)

Weights
Bait elastic.
Bait itself
Rod and reel
Rigs and rig clips
Rod stand.
Rod light and head torch for night fishing
Tackle box
Hook removal tool
Bag for fish

Off you go :)
Hook Removal tool? Could you please or anyone else post a link to the sort of tool most of us would be using .... should we catch a fish ... fang u

Hook Removal tool? Could you please or anyone else post a link to the sort of tool most of us would be using .... should we catch a fish ... fang u
Have a gander on flea bay or amazonian there are plenty available, also local tackle shops. Alternative put it on your xmas list for family etc.

I also take a small bucket to fill with sea water to clean hands and a cloth to dry hands with.

See if can find yourself a decent rucksack.The Century one looks good but something similar pref stands upright'ish when fishing that way if have no shed or fishing rocks etc you can if weathers not so friendly rain or sea spray you can keep things dry and stash bait back inside unless get yourself a bucket with lid or bait pack as worms don't like rain esp "Kills em"plus other stuff becomes slosh/mush.
But also it's easier to lug and on your back as load is placed in right area.
Tupperware type box in base of rucksack one i have is around 8" leaves a gap down end so can slide other tub in there with leaders and tit bits then can put leads scissors bait tools if have? and other bits.
Some microfibre clothes can get packs of three or raid old ladies stash! Miaooow phssst Growl!!! and get one big one to wrap things or dry yourself if get wet! there very light and dry quickly so can hang on tripod etc to dry but also they keep wires/sharp bits away from likes of water bottle in bag.Ebay has loads.
Kitchen type scissors or cloth/curtain making ones Fiskars are good ive a pair that are for cutting material around 9" long cuts through fish etc for bait or keeping just givem a wipe over with oil etc.

Decent headlight works if going nights/darker times. myself have a ledlenser H19 signature which has spot and flood plus red light and lasts all night+ i use on flood mostly and last thing you want if fishing reef/rocks/cliffs are battery going Phut at wrong moment esp pouring rain windy and cold go to swap battery over if have one and torch gets water inside or drop battery down a crevice etc as cold hands don't work so well.

Pair of decent forceps are good for hook removal not just fish but you also!

Ive a Leatherman Multi tool which has blades/sharpener/pliers/all types of screwdriver/torq's/alen keys as a get you out of jail gadget!

Much is your aims and pocket depths for choice but keep to basics and go from there.

Grubs boots are a God send on your hooves the Vibram soled ones have far better grip/footbed compared to the others plus can stud them with supatraks there light comfy and keep feet warm and dry and firm footbed makes life less tiring when fishing/walking.

Some windproof or at least warm clothes but don't wear jeans/denim when fishing as hold moisture and if out get damp/wet + cold +wind+age and long way from dry land/warmth =early onset of Hypothermia!+ as it creeps up on you
You can get one of those packaway suits to start with which can stow in top of rucksack depending on what one got for?

Carrier bags or large black sack folded up to carry fish and rubbish away plus in an emergency Black sack cut corners and piece in middle at closed end have an emergency body warmer!
Some very, very useful tips in here. Thank you :)

Many, many thanks to everyone.
I now have a lot of food for thought.
Hoping Santa is feeling generous this year :D
Got a rod, reel, line, tripod, forceps, scissors, sharp knife, bucket, boxes, rucksack and clothes.
Just need to get my terminal tackle together and some other bits and bats.
Thanks again to everyone, hugely appreciated.

By chance, do any you fish the NE coast at all?
Looking for a spot for our first outing.
Live between York and Leeds, but happy to travel from down in Hull up to Whitby, or thereabouts :)

Many, many thanks to everyone.
I now have a lot of food for thought.
Hoping Santa is feeling generous this year :D
Got a rod, reel, line, tripod, forceps, scissors, sharp knife, bucket, boxes, rucksack and clothes.
Just need to get my terminal tackle together and some other bits and bats.
Thanks again to everyone, hugely appreciated.

By chance, do any you fish the NE coast at all?
Looking for a spot for our first outing.
Live between York and Leeds, but happy to travel from down in Hull up to Whitby, or thereabouts :)
Try @UKNE when he comes on

Back