• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bare bones basic beach essentials?

I still carry a priest....he makes loads of noise in the car boot n :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note do folk still use them alot or spine snap instead like I see alot do? I carried them over from the fly world
Best carrying one as you can't spine snap everything you may catch and want to keep.

Many, many thanks to everyone.
I now have a lot of food for thought.
Hoping Santa is feeling generous this year :D
Got a rod, reel, line, tripod, forceps, scissors, sharp knife, bucket, boxes, rucksack and clothes.
Just need to get my terminal tackle together and some other bits and bats.
Thanks again to everyone, hugely appreciated.

By chance, do any you fish the NE coast at all?
Looking for a spot for our first outing.
Live between York and Leeds, but happy to travel from down in Hull up to Whitby, or thereabouts :)
If fishing the Holderness coast all you need is some pully rigs to begin with , best bet is to buy some , then copy them if you want to make some your self. You really need a mate to go with to show you the ropes until you know what your doing

Maybe not bare bones essential, but, electrical tape and a few cable ties are extremely useful for emergency repairs!

Eg, repairing a snapped reel foot!!
View attachment 35879

Ive done the same several times with abus, crap welds to the foot / frame point

and used the cable tie method, but these are the ones i carry in the box, ( and a couple of plastic ones if i get desperate)
syaing that, i really dont have a fkin clue whats in the box, never gets emptied, cleaned out etc, just note anything i run short of and chuck new in lol :)

stainless grade 304
get used to hold anything back together if needed reel / tripod etc

1669652625529.png

Always makes me Laugh when Bell ends and Uber Phooka Ma Reels up go on about 65's and One of a Kind rough ground Beast with 30kg of drag! and the Tit on the other side was hooting n Hollering about his massive drag and Berated Blakdog as stupid no nothing when said about the faults in drag system! About 5lb's your limit as anything else and reels ripped off Rails!

Absolutely in the nail
Iā€™ve thrown more fkin 6500s in the sea than you would care to beleve
Thereā€™s at least 5 in the Humber for starters !!!
Bang in for field work, but in the real world , more suited to sitting in a cabinet than smashing 6oz n a full squid n wing bait out in the middle of January
Everyone I have launched has suffered the off the rail issue
Stick to my USA 525s n fathoms
Industrial is the way forward

And as for lolo on t other side
I fkin laid in bed reading the thread and near on pissed me sen

Soon shut the fuck up
When Russ said he was popping down to Swansea to see family n friends and would gladly have a chat šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

That yolo twonk's buddy was giving it large also Gower Fanny or something was having a go at someone that asked a question which was a relevant one. Perhaps have a bad batch of Fairy Dust there Snorting over there?
But was pissing myself reading there trash plus start on Russ and start on us all as he helps anyone out.

Personally reckon he was supping that bottle of fkin elbow grease his lass gave him to clean his bearings out šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Absolutely in the nail
Iā€™ve thrown more fkin 6500s in the sea than you would care to beleve
Thereā€™s at least 5 in the Humber for starters !!!
Bang in for field work, but in the real world , more suited to sitting in a cabinet than smashing 6oz n a full squid n wing bait out in the middle of January
Everyone I have launched has suffered the off the rail issue
Stick to my USA 525s n fathoms
Industrial is the way forward

And as for lolo on t other side
I fkin laid in bed reading the thread and near on pissed me sen

Soon shut the fuck up
When Russ said he was popping down to Swansea to see family n friends and would gladly have a chat šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Pissant reels those little Abus arenā€™t they? Make a good boat weight maybe?

For what it's worth, this is a rundown of the sort of stuff I take for a Chesil trip. I tend to aim to fish the best parts of the tides in shortish sessions rather than camp out over several tides but there are plenty who go for the long session approach.

I prefer a seat box for this type of fishing and use a Shakespeare Beta box with the Breakaway conversion. This allows the box to be carried on your back like a rucksack which leaves your hands free and distributes the weight well. You can then sit on it rather than having to take an extra seat or sit on the stones. I usually take a couple rods and a tripod as well as a beach buddy. These are all strapped together with neoprene rod straps. I've used quiver type rod holdalls in the past but nowadays I just carry this bundle in one hand. Need to be a bit more careful not to damage rod tips but this method works for me.

In the seat box I take a couple reels, a cloth to keep my hands clean (an old flannel), food and water (depending on the length of the planned trip), a printout of the tide prediction and weather forecast and any other written notes, bait in sandwich boxes, plastic bags to put rubbish in and a small LED base camp light. LEDs are so good nowadays that a very small and light unit is fine. Some folks seem to want to go into competition with the Portland Bill lighthouse but I don't think that's necessary and bigger units just add weight.

A small zip-up bag (it was a wash bag before being re-purposed) with priest, scissors (I like the Mustad ones), forceps, small spare torch (1 x AA battery size), a small reel-type tape measure (plastic because I've found the metal ones rust and can slice your fingers when they retract quickly), an LED torch that clips on to the tripod and can be directed on to the rod tips, forceps for unhooking, a diamond nail file for keeping hooks sharp and bait elastic.

Then a rig wallet with plenty of pre-tied rigs, a list of the minimum sizes for the various species, some spare shock leaders (I like the Varivas tapered ones), antiseptic wipes, plasters and a waterproof notebook and pen).

If you just chuck leads into the box it's easy to spike your fingers on the grip wires so I put the leads in a sandwich box.

For me, this strikes a reasonable balance between covering the essential requirements and keeping the weight down. As you biuld up experience you'll evolve your own preferences. For example, I only take a couple spare leads because I don't often lose any when fishing Chesil. If you fish somewhere with a rougher seabed you'll want to take more. Some people prefer pliers for unhooking as forceps can feel a bit 'flimsy'. It's a good idea to have an insulated bait box for frozen baits. At other venues I might take an empty bucket for sea water or a small thermometer for measuring the sea temperature. I don't take these on Chesil trips because I want to stay well back from the waves to increase my chance of getting home alive.

For what it's worth, this is a rundown of the sort of stuff I take for a Chesil trip. I tend to aim to fish the best parts of the tides in shortish sessions rather than camp out over several tides but there are plenty who go for the long session approach.

I prefer a seat box for this type of fishing and use a Shakespeare Beta box with the Breakaway conversion. This allows the box to be carried on your back like a rucksack which leaves your hands free and distributes the weight well. You can then sit on it rather than having to take an extra seat or sit on the stones. I usually take a couple rods and a tripod as well as a beach buddy. These are all strapped together with neoprene rod straps. I've used quiver type rod holdalls in the past but nowadays I just carry this bundle in one hand. Need to be a bit more careful not to damage rod tips but this method works for me.

In the seat box I take a couple reels, a cloth to keep my hands clean (an old flannel), food and water (depending on the length of the planned trip), a printout of the tide prediction and weather forecast and any other written notes, bait in sandwich boxes, plastic bags to put rubbish in and a small LED base camp light. LEDs are so good nowadays that a very small and light unit is fine. Some folks seem to want to go into competition with the Portland Bill lighthouse but I don't think that's necessary and bigger units just add weight.

A small zip-up bag (it was a wash bag before being re-purposed) with priest, scissors (I like the Mustad ones), forceps, small spare torch (1 x AA battery size), a small reel-type tape measure (plastic because I've found the metal ones rust and can slice your fingers when they retract quickly), an LED torch that clips on to the tripod and can be directed on to the rod tips, forceps for unhooking, a diamond nail file for keeping hooks sharp and bait elastic.

Then a rig wallet with plenty of pre-tied rigs, a list of the minimum sizes for the various species, some spare shock leaders (I like the Varivas tapered ones), antiseptic wipes, plasters and a waterproof notebook and pen).

If you just chuck leads into the box it's easy to spike your fingers on the grip wires so I put the leads in a sandwich box.

For me, this strikes a reasonable balance between covering the essential requirements and keeping the weight down. As you biuld up experience you'll evolve your own preferences. For example, I only take a couple spare leads because I don't often lose any when fishing Chesil. If you fish somewhere with a rougher seabed you'll want to take more. Some people prefer pliers for unhooking as forceps can feel a bit 'flimsy'. It's a good idea to have an insulated bait box for frozen baits. At other venues I might take an empty bucket for sea water or a small thermometer for measuring the sea temperature. I don't take these on Chesil trips because I want to stay well back from the waves to increase my chance of getting home alive.
Excellent!
Many thanks ::)

Back