• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bash last night

spiderfur

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Well, out with two rods last night, targeting sole and bass.
beautiful night, hardly a breath of wind and an ebbing tide. Had a mad hour or so with four of the smallest smuts I have seen, Three straps that I left for a tad too long and they paid me back with some imaginative tangles and a lotta snot. Some nice school bass some just short of the mark and sole, one beauty for the pot. Missus will be chuffed.......after a few pout on the slack everything quiet.
As it was 0200 now and I'm no spring chicken, called it a night.
Satisfying
I was using some cracking rag on a size 1 kamasan aberdeen but am wondering if I should up the size?????

Well done mate, sounds like a good session. If targeting soles specifically, I’d stick with the smaller patterns mate, size 2 Aberdeen’s is my choice. For general worm fishing, I was using size 1 Aberdeen’s, but I get a good run of eels on my patch, at least one a session, of which some were deep hooked, so went up to size 1/0 which stopped this. Bait size and target species helps me decide hook pattern. When bass are the target with worm baits, I use large blacks or yellowtail lug, and they sit nicely on a size 2/0.

Well done mate, sounds like a good session. If targeting soles specifically, I’d stick with the smaller patterns mate, size 2 Aberdeen’s is my choice. For general worm fishing, I was using size 1 Aberdeen’s, but I get a good run of eels on my patch, at least one a session, of which some were deep hooked, so went up to size 1/0 which stopped this. Bait size and target species helps me decide hook pattern. When bass are the target with worm baits, I use large blacks or yellowtail lug, and they sit nicely on a size 2/0.
Cheers ouch, makes sense ?

I’ve taken plenty of flounders on size 1 and 1/0 Aberdeen’s mate, I find that they can open their mouths quite wide and engulf quite large hooks. With soles, with their small twisted mouths, I have found anything over a size 1 can be too big.

Well, out with two rods last night, targeting sole and bass.
beautiful night, hardly a breath of wind and an ebbing tide. Had a mad hour or so with four of the smallest smuts I have seen, Three straps that I left for a tad too long and they paid me back with some imaginative tangles and a lotta snot. Some nice school bass some just short of the mark and sole, one beauty for the pot. Missus will be chuffed.......after a few pout on the slack everything quiet.
As it was 0200 now and I'm no spring chicken, called it a night.
Satisfying
I was using some cracking rag on a size 1 kamasan aberdeen but am wondering if I should up the size?????
I’ve busy sesh mate remember you can catch big and small fish on small hooks bud

Back