• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Bashing the Ballans

bananas

Reaction score
Ventured over to the breakwater yesterday morning with my flattie rod to see how I get on casting and if any Wrasse was around. Took what I thought was a light bag, half way along the breakwater it wasnt light anymore, huffing and puffing I thought sod it ill fish here, which was a good move as was getting bites from the first cast.
Bit hard on the old chest and arm pulling the first small Ballan in and the second one but was easing up, when the third one and quite a nice one came up through the weed, need to take some scales when wrassing, guessing he was well over a lb, so was happy with him.
Several more came out before the rain came down and that didn't dampen the fish as a nice size Corkwing came out in the storm.
Few more sizable Ballans and a Pout popped up when the rain had cleared off, had 13 fish in 3 hours before not pushing me luck I trundled off home.
Wish I had take a pic of this now, as I was packing up a huge Seal was entertaining everyone in the harbour by chomping on half of very good sized Conger, which didn't take him very long to get through at all !!.

That's a lovely tree hours well
Spent, well done mate. Seals showing off ? And a big congor too. Hey might be use for them seals to clear some of the straps lol

Hey might be use for them seals to clear some of the straps lol
Strange never seen hardly any straps from there just better size fish, few years ago when was congering there, a mate hooked a 6/7lber only for a seal to grab it just as he was hauling it out, he had a great fight with the seal and conger at the same time, I couldnt help as was creased up larfing so much, the seal won in the end.

Strange never seen hardly any straps from there just better size fish, few years ago when was congering there, a mate hooked a 6/7lber only for a seal to grab it just as he was hauling it out, he had a great fight with the seal and conger at the same time, I couldnt help as was creased up larfing so much, the seal won in the end.
Wow that must have been a real hoot to watch, lol

Back