• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bass baits?

What baits do you catch em on?
Pretty much anything.
Where are you planning on fishing for them?
I have caught bass on;
Sandeel
Mackerel
Scad
Whiting
Pouting
Bluey
Squid
Cuttlefish
Razor clams
Black lug
Blow lug
Ragworm
Crab
Soft and hard plastic
Metals
Feathers
Flies, wet and dry
Feathers
Bread
And finally, maggots.

Not much they won't eat but worm or crab would probably be my first choice for table fish if you are fishing the Solway

80% of my bass have come on lugworm dug minutes before i baited up with it, the fresher the better. I have little confidence in wrapped or frozen lug, it’s got to be alive! I’ve caught on peeler and I find pout (alive or dead) to be effective, especially after dark (when pout are more active and bass expect to find them) I’ve caught a few bass on ragworm, but schoolies mainly. Had little success with mackerel to be honest, but as the majority of my bass fishing is done over clean sand at low tide on a select few marks, I always start with fresh pumped lug, or fresh razors (or sand eel) as I can collect them as I’m fishing. At high tide on the same place, the same baits are useless, as you are fishing over rocks and reefs, there crab would be my choice. A fresh Sandeel, razor or lug doesn’t last 5mins as the crabs in the rocks will destroy it!

Mackreal fresh is best frozen works squids good when coloured water fresh peeler can work live scad live pout most things live head an guts of fresh Mac us a firm favourite but I find I fillets you get better hook ups never had a sizeable one to worm

A bloody big lump of fish of any type on bloody big hooks under the rod tip in the dark..... spring tides..... and wait!!!
That's what I got taught years ago, never looked back.
The only thing I would change is the bait as I seem to have more luck on squid than fish.

On the east coast where I'm from, rag seems to be a favoured bait but attracts mainly schoolies, and any distance from rod tips to about 50 yards.
The bigger fish seem to come to fish or squid baits close in.

Pretty much anything.
Where are you planning on fishing for them?
I have caught bass on;
Sandeel
Mackerel
Scad
Whiting
Pouting
Bluey
Squid
Cuttlefish
Razor clams
Black lug
Blow lug