• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Bass & Estuary rod

meirion658

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Afternoon all looking for a new Bass/Flounder/Estuary rod with a casting weight of 1 to 3oz or 4oz with a good bite detection tip?

Don't want the rod to be over 13ft and must be lightweight to hold in the surf and also placed in a stand.

Budget wise willing to go up to £300 or possible a good used rod

Cheers
Meirion

The afaw estuary are great bits of kit. Also if you see a conoflex Nevada up for sale grab it still regret selling mine lovey estuary rod and fishing a big bass bait close in whilst holding the rod. Will fish 3oz with ease can step up to a 4iz lead and it will not miss a beat. Used to use mine rolling lead and big crab baits letting it roll into undercuts on the rock outcrops near me where the bass would be sat.

I got a Penn bass fisher or something with similar name, had it for around 10 years now, cost around £130 then, great fir lure fishing and for using off structure with running ledger, best rod evr had, and woukd get another if still available.

Look for a century lite they come in 2 different lengths.12foot and a 13 foot both will cast 2oz to 4oz with ease and will lob 5 oz when needed, it is a vastly underrated rod , iv caught hounds to 19 lb on it rays to 7lb even strap congers with the greatest ease , and if you can find a conoflex frenzy it’ll do the job just as well

I fish a leeda rogue 12' carp rod alongside a shakespeare bass rod. The shakie is a broomstick in comparison to the carp rod.
Can't remember if it is the 3lb or 3.5lb tc.

Look for a century lite they come in 2 different lengths.12foot and a 13 foot both will cast 2oz to 4oz with ease and will lob 5 oz when needed, it is a vastly underrated rod , iv caught hounds to 19 lb on it rays to 7lb even strap congers with the greatest ease , and if you can find a conoflex frenzy it’ll do the job just as well
Hi Mike
Your response above intrigued me.
I’m looking at spicing up my angling experience by not changing my target species or technique as such but by fishing lighter for them!
Could the “century TT graphex ultra lite be a contender for south coast fishing?
Could I still use a multiplier with them?
I currently use eliminator T-800’s which are really enjoyable but on that calm balmy night I feel I want to be lighter.

Steve

Got a Zulcron Bass,cracker of a rod👍
I keep hearing good reports on the Zulcron range. Not had the opportunity to try the bass blank for myself as yet....be interested to hear your thoughts RD👍
When conditions allow its good to fish lighter weights and rods but I see no advantages and certainly not 'sporting' reasons to fish light lines or leaders. Play them hard and kill or release your quarry asap in my book.

When conditions allow it’s good to fish lighter weights and rods but I see no advantages and certainly not 'sporting' reasons to fish light lines or leaders. Play them hard and kill or release your quarry asap in my book.
Ah…I wouldn’t be fishing lighter line and leader as I only use 14lb main and 60lb leader anyway but by using lighter rod and weight surely it would be nice to feel the fish.
Rather than…”fight! What fight? It only took 2 mins to land and it weighed 30lb!” 🤔😊

Back