• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Bass hide and seek.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
With the bass seemingly around in numbers, I couldn’t wait to get out again this week, but thanks to the wisdom of the highways department at the Welsh Assembly Government, I had to change my plans slightly. Tuesday evening wasn’t a problem but the solitary sign announcing the overnight closure of the A55 on Thursday evening, was another matter. I tried Google, in an effort to get more information, but there was nothing at all online, so I decided not to risk having to take a 30-mile diversion on my way home and changed my plans to fish Wednesday evening instead. This wasn’t all bad as the bass wouldn’t expect to see me out 2 nights in a row, and this usually ensures that I have a productive session 😁.

Weather-wise Tuesday evening was pretty miserable, with constant light rain for most of the evening, but it was also quite mild with only a light breeze and I do enjoy fishing in those conditions. The fishing itself though was poor, and as a guy fishing nearby managed to catch 4 bass, I struggled and didn’t get a single touch ☹️.

As the tide pushed in and the light levels began to drop, I was forced back from my original spot and so I moved along the shore to a nearby sandy beach, and it was here that I saw my first action of the night. I had just whacked out a yellow Patch 140 to maximum range, when I could have sworn I saw a splash near to where my lure landed. Next I gave the lure a couple of twitches, and this time there was no mistaking the large splash right next to it 😮. Unfortunately the would be diner missed the lure completely so I twitched it again and once more the myopic attacker lunged at, and missed my lure 🤪. Sadly for me the culprit lost interest after that and the next 30 minutes were quiet again.

It was dark by now and with the rain still falling, my game of bass hide and seek continued as I made my way along the shore, casting here and there to try and tempt them into giving themselves away, but no matter what lure I tried, it seemed that my luck had finally run out 😢.

Eventually, after 4 and a half hours of fishing I was starting to think about calling it a night, and I had just clipped on a Mishna for the umpteenth time of the evening, when it was suddenly hit without warning. Typically, the attacker missed the hook but it gave my confidence a big boost, just when it was needed. I fished on and a few minutes later my lure was hit again, and this time it resulted in a positive hook up 👍. It wasn’t a big fish but I didn’t care and as I landed my first bass of the night, I was buzzing 😊.
Bass - 112 2023.jpg

Incredibly, on the very next cast my lure was hit again, this time by a slightly bigger fish of 42cm and the long hours of searching for my elusive quarry were a distant memory.
Bass - 113 2023.jpg

On a roll now, I carried on fishing and after several more missed hits I was in again, with a third fish of 42cm again
Bass - 114 2023.jpg

This was to be my last fish of the night though, as the hits now dried up and after another 15 minutes with no more interest in my lures, I called it a night just as the rain finally stopped falling 🙄. I then headed for home to dry my gear out, ready for the following night.

19 hours later and I was back again for round 2 of bass hide and seek, hoping for better luck than I’d had on my first outing of the week. In complete contrast to Tuesday evening, the weather this time was totally different, with clear blue skies and warm sunshine 😎. I started off at the same place and once again it was very quiet, strange really as the place had been crawling with fish only a week ago.

Though conditions were different, the fishing was a case of Deja-vu and no matter what lures I tried, I just couldn’t buy a bite. I tried a dozen different lures, both hard and soft plastic, surface lures, shallow divers and metals, at several different spots, but the bass must have been practicing their hide and seek skills and I just couldn’t find them anywhere 👎.

After about 4 and a quarter hours I arrived at the spot where I caught on Tuesday night, hoping that the bass might be there again, but this time there was no sign of them. I fished on, but as time passed by without a bite I began to wonder if the bass might have finally outsmarted me 🤔.

I kept trying though and finally a bass slipped up and betrayed its presence by nipping at my lure. Now that I knew they were there, I was convinced that I would catch sooner rather than later, but the bass weren’t done with teasing me yet. In the next 20 minutes I had lots of takes, but annoyingly they all failed to connect. Eventually though, the law of averages came to my rescue and I did actually hook a fish. Unfortunately, after I played it really carefully the bugger somehow managed to throw the hook right under the rod tip! 😭

I was now rapidly becoming convinced that it wasn’t going to be my night, but only a few minute later I was in again, and this time luck was on my side. After a nerve-wracking minute or two I was able to slide my catch safely ashore and my catching streak stretched to 12 sessions 🥳.
Bass - 115 2023.jpg

Now that I was off the mark, my confidence took a massive boost and on the very next cast I was in again. Things were looking up, but once again the fish gave a last flick of the tail just as I was about to land it, and made good its escape 🤬. I wasn’t to be denied though and I fished on.

Thankfully my perseverance paid off and over the next 30 minutes I caught 2 more bass. Small ones again, both at 35cm, but I didn’t care 😊.
Bass - 116 2023.jpg

Bass - 117 2023.jpg

These were to be my last catches though, and just like on Tuesday, the feeding bass soon vanished as quickly as they had arrived. I had at least beaten them in hide and seek for the second night running 😂.

So the numbers keep on rising, but the lack of bigger fish is a slight worry. I haven’t caught a 5lb+ bass now since September 2021, so I’m hoping that the autumn will finally bring a big girl my way 🤞.

Well Done Andy some nice looking Bass has For Size of Fish it's out of our hands what size Fish Take our lures or Baits 👍

Cheers guys (y).

It's not worth a post of it's own, but I fished a club match at Gimblet rock yesterday evening and it was absolute pants!

7 of us fished for 4 and a half hours and 4 of the guys guys caught 3 small bream, 1 snotty eel and a dragonet, while the other 3 of us failed to catch, my first blank on dirty bait this year :cry:.

Roll on tomorrow night now, when hopefully the bass will be out to play again 🤞.

Cheers guys (y).

It's not worth a post of it's own, but I fished a club match at Gimblet rock yesterday evening and it was absolute pants!

7 of us fished for 4 and a half hours and 4 of the guys guys caught 3 small bream, 1 snotty eel and a dragonet, while the other 3 of us failed to catch, my first blank on dirty bait this year :cry:.

Roll on tomorrow night now, when hopefully the bass will be out to play again 🤞.
Love Gimblet Rock.

Only fished it when family around the town, and i got a couple of hours to myself.

One great location to fish, and even if a blank, you feel satisfied you have achieved something.

Back