• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Bass Lure Fishing Advice - Pwllheli

Huza91

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi All,

I've been bass lure fishing around Pwllheli for about 2 years now and all I've been able to catch is a schoolie which was about 20cm in length in June 2021. This schoolie was caught on the rocks at the back of Gimblet Rock holiday park.

In these 2 years of fishing, I've been at the mouth of the marina, the breakwater behind the reception of Gimblet and on the beach itself.

Rod, Reel & Line
8ft Ron Thompson X-Ray 5g-25g
2500 Ron Thompson X-Ray spinning reel with 20lb intech braid
3ft 20lb leader

Lures
  • Axia Canine 23g (Sardine, Clear Candy White, Chart Silver Insert)
  • Axia Climax 16g (Clear Candy White, Black Candy)
  • Axia Assure 15.5g (Pink Silver Insert, Black Candy)
  • Savage Gear Seeker ISP 23g (Green Yellow, Black Pearl, Red Black, Green Silver, White Pearl)
  • Savage Gear Gravity Stick Kit (5 colours in pintail, paddletail and pulsetail)
  • Savage Gear Panic Prey v2 16g (Sardine, Mirror Ayu)
  • Blux Flash Sandeel 14g (Green, Blue, Brown) - Purchased from Aliexpress
  • Kingdom Phantom Popper Wobbler 18g (Pink, Blue Green) - Purchased from Aliexpress
  • Tronix 'Dexter' wedge
  • Daiwa Seabass Minnows (Spotted Bone)
  • Tronix Pro Axia Vulcan Lures 12cm (Clear Candy White)
  • Savage Salt Prey Lures (Sandeel)
  • Rapala Skitter V Lures 10cm (Red Ghost)
  • Kingdom Popper Pencil Lure - Purchased from Aliexpress
As seen in the below, anywhere I've marked yellow is where I've been fishing these past 2 years however the main spot I've tried is the breakwater on the right.

Water resources Body of water Slope World Urban design

Does anyone have any tips for fishing around here? I've been casting out my lures (mainly the Axia Canines) as far I can and reeling in slow/fast while twitching the rod to make the lure do the walk the dog motion.

Should I ditch the Axia lures and buy a few real Xorus Patchinkos?

Thanks All!

Hi All,

I've been bass lure fishing around Pwllheli for about 2 years now and all I've been able to catch is a schoolie which was about 20cm in length in June 2021. This schoolie was caught on the rocks at the back of Gimblet Rock holiday park.

In these 2 years of fishing, I've been at the mouth of the marina, the breakwater behind the reception of Gimblet and on the beach itself.

Rod, Reel & Line
3ft 20lb leader

Lures
  • Savage Gear Seeker ISP 23g (Green Yellow, Black Pearl, Red Black, Green Silver, White Pearl)
  • Savage Gear Gravity Stick Kit (5 colours in pintail, paddletail and pulsetail)
  • Kingdom Phantom Popper Wobbler 18g (Pink, Blue Green) - Purchased from Aliexpress
  • Tronix 'Dexter' wedge
As seen in the below, anywhere I've marked yellow is where I've been fishing these past 2 years however the main spot I've tried is the breakwater on the right.

Does anyone have any tips for fishing around here? I've been casting out my lures (mainly the Axia Canines) as far I can and reeling in slow/fast while twitching the rod to make the lure do the walk the dog motion.

Thanks All!

Brilliant diagram mate ! I cant help with the lure fishing there sorry , but ive had some nice black bream on the opposite side of the holiday park near the rounderbout fishing with boom rigs .

P.s : is there somewhere to park on the holiday park side ?

Try fishing at night. If the fish are there and feeding they will take the lures you already ha\/e I'\/e not lure fished there but ha\/e had a few out a couple of miles south around Pen y chain and in front of Hafan Y Mor

Hi All,

Rod, Reel & Line
3ft 20lb leader

Lures
  • Tronix 'Dexter' wedge

Thanks All!
try going in the dark so much better

Brilliant diagram mate ! I cant help with the lure fishing there sorry , but ive had some nice black bream on the opposite side of the holiday park near the rounderbout fishing with boom rigs .

Yup, I park right beside the reception and have never had any issues - I suppose they know my missus is a local and don't mind.

Try fishing at night. If the fish are there and feeding they will take the lures you already ha\/e I'\/e not lure fished there but ha\/e had a few out a couple of miles south around Pen y chain and in front of Hafan Y Mor
Can you suggest what lures I should focus on using? Should I ditch the Axia Canines and buy a few patchinkos? You've caught bass on lures around Hafan??
try going in the dark so much better
That's a great idea! What tide would you suggest I fish?

Couldn't find a smash crab lure in your list,I use the 3 spot one (38gramme ) from Glasgow angling,I use it a lot ,bass love it,try going at dawn or dusk,or like j willson said go at night

Yup, I park right beside the reception and have never had any issues - I suppose they know my missus is a local and don't mind.

Can you suggest what lures I should focus on using? Should I ditch the Axia Canines and buy a few patchinkos? You've caught bass on lures around Hafan??

Yep I'\/e had a few there from the broken ground on the north of the beach. It's shallow and you need to wade. I wouldn't worry about buying a few patch's although they would do your chances no harm. The lures you ha\/e are perfectly adequate. Fishing at night makes a big difference as the fish are more likely to come in closer. D awn and dusk as well are peak feeding times

I always park on the side before the ho;iday park plenty of room

i myself have never caught anything on the times i been there using lures/red gill

Great place to fish though

Cheers huza . I wish you well and hope you luck

Cheers huza . I wish you well and hope you good luck there. Thanks for the parking info (y) tight lines
I always park on the side before the ho;iday park plenty of room

i myself have never caught anything on the times i been there using lures/red gill

Great place to fish though Thanks duchtman
Thanks dutchtman . Ile have to go and have a mooch down there next year . I went there years ago a couple of times with my father and his friends . They put a long line out on the beach while we fished the river . Its the only place where ive caught black bream . The water is amazingly clear there aint it . My father had an 18ft boat for few years . We went there and launched off gimlet area and caught quite a few dabs a mile or so out . Yeah its a nice spot agreed .

I've fished the rough ground at criccieth to the right of the castle at night.surface lures are the way there because it's so rocky.
Maybe worth a try next year,i just keep moving along the shore,I've had a fewthere to about 3lb.

Just had another look at your map,that marina mouth looks interesting, would love to work a Dexter wedge in that area, especially that looks like rough ground in the mouth,don't see any reason why you can't get a decent bass there,if I was you I'd go for it mate

7DA78EF9-2E0B-469F-8A83-B01D25986532.jpegBy all accounts the right hand side (west) of criccieth castle is a good spot, call in at criccieth tackle box in the high st and speak to Russel ?

Also llanbedrog is another spot to try

All the lures you have should catch, as has already been said darkness is a big plus but if you can only fish during the day you will need a bit of swell, flat calm and daylight are not a good mix. Look for signs ie birds feeding or disturbed areas where fish might be feeding, look for features ie rocks, gulleys. If its anything like my area the Bass seem to move through at certain states of the tide and non existent for the rest so alter the times you go to see if you can find a pattern. Have you tried your gravity sticks in the marina mouth, cast them out and just allow them to swing round allowing them to work themselves in the current, then take a couple of steps and cast again and so on. (y)

Back