• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Bass, plaice and whiting. Boscombe Pier

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Reminded by Haddocks last post about the many " fish that are flat" to be had there, and following a fair amount of fishing travelling lately and wanting to stay more local. It was decided to do a nice easy and out of the wind session on Boscomber Pier. The parking is free or cheap due to winter charges and I can usually be there in 35 mins.

The journey was irritating as the main route was still down to one lane, due to the burst water main encountered on my recent and nasty journey to Swanage. The alternative route was ok, but I was following some red hybrid thing and the pilot felt the need to slow down each time a car came the other way or there was a bend or perhaps when he decided to take a quick nap! I find I rant more as I get older!

The parking on the app was £3.80 for 24 hours and its a bit closer and less steep than the free parking.

Haddock was already there and fishing with nothing showing. Set up a couple of 10 ft flattie rods, 3 hook flappers, size 4 hooks, 2 ounce leads, rag bait, and flicked them out to my "sweet" spot. It was slow, it was very slow, so I resorted to my favourite tactic of pouring a cup of tea, no bites, eating a beef sarnie, no that did not work either. Bugger!

After 3 hours I had a very tentative bite and then another. Bait change time anyway, so picked up the rod and wound, slack line, very slack line, then here we go definitely fish on. At last something to play with, then it sort of went dead, but still weight there. I can see its silver and its a bass. It was strange how it went quiet, until unhooking obviously where it was trying to get me with its gill plates and spikes and rightly so. Not very big, but welcome after the long wait.
20230125_170138.jpg
My plan was to leave when it got dark, but the reports were that the roads were busy, so its better to be fishing than sitting looking at someones brake lights in traffic as they have forgotten that they have a hand brake!

Good job too as around 5, I had a bite, said to Haddock that's a plaice bite, left it, had another bite and in came a lovely little plaice and number 9 for my hunt. A very pretty fish.
20230125_164654.jpg
It is now dark, the tide is moving the water and I am confident that the fish are going to turn on. Nope. It stayed dead until a little whiting came in. At this point Haddock has a blank score sheet and has yet again been out fished by his protege. He never loses though, as his counter is that he taught me everything I know and it would be a poor teacher who's student does not surpass his master. I still have a way to go and happy with that.
20230128_113742.png

THEN HE CAUGHT A WHITING SO DEFINITELY TIME TO GO HOME!

"It was decided" , is a very roundabout way of saying "I picked a poor venue and Haddock went along with it"

We timed the leaving right though, it was raining a few minutes after leaving.

the correct quote

Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master.

Leonardo da Vinci

"It was decided" , is a very roundabout way of saying "I picked a poor venue and Haddock went along with it"

We timed the leaving right though, it was raining a few minutes after leaving.

the correct quote

Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master.

Leonardo da Vinci
"It was decided". Was carefully picked!

My quote is the modern version, because as everyone knows, Leonardo died on May 2, 1519 in Cloux, France, after a nasty incident with a particularly aggressive pouting!

Back