• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Be careful what you wish for.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After avoiding the blank by the skin of my teen on consecutive sessions, I was getting desperate to visit my usual June mark, but though the forecast was looking more favourable for Thursday, Tuesday wasn’t looking great ☹️. With fresh Easterlies gusting to 30mph forecast, my plan was to head for shelter at the same mark as last Thursday, but as I joined the A55 I was pleasantly surprised to see that the sea was flat calm! 😮 A change of plan was in order, so I immediately decided to take a chance on my preferred June mark after all.

40 minutes later I was parked up and quickly getting suited and booted, before I headed off on the short walk to the shore. When I got there I was sweating like a pig 🥵 but I was very pleasantly surprised to find beautiful calm conditions, with only a gentle groundswell rolling ashore and no sign of the promised wind. So much for the latest weather satellites and forecasting computers 🙄.

As well as the lovely weather, I was also encouraged by the sight and sounds of terns diving for baitfish all along the shore, and desperate to cool down, I quickly clipped on a Frosty in 500G and waded out into the inviting cool water. Once I’d found a steady footing in among the weed covered boulders, I pinged my lure out into the calm water and clipped over the bale arm but before I could start the retrieve, my lure was smashed! 😲

The sudden attack had caught me completely un-prepared and with me being so hot and sweaty from the walk, my shades were all steamed up and I couldn’t see a lot 🤣, but somehow I managed to get the fish under control. After one or two nervous moments, I was finally able to land the fish on a weed covered rock.
The walk back to dry land through the weed and submerged boulders was a little awkward, so I decided to photograph and measure the fish exactly where I was, but that was easier said than done. The fish was still a little “green” and as such was in no mood to stay still for me, as if that wasn’t bad enough my phone camera also decided to play silly buggers and didn’t seem to want to take pictures without thinking about it for 30 seconds first 😠. As if that wasn’t bad enough, I couldn’t really see the screen in the bright sunshine, so I just pointed it in the general direction of my catch and hoped for the best 🤞.

Once I was sure I had taken enough pictures, I measured my catch at a respectable 51cm and released it back into the clear water, then very happy with a productive start to the evening for a change, I got straight back to the fishing.
Bass - 77 2023.jpg

Unfortunately, as I know from bitter experience, catching a fish on the very first cast of the session is not as good as it might sound. This wasn’t the first time I’ve experienced this and sadly the curse of the first cast fish struck yet again. I fished on for another 4 hours, but despite the presence of baitfish and feeing terns, the bass were nowhere to be found and I didn’t get another touch 😢.

Next up was Thursday night and with perfect weather forecast, and high water nearer dusk, there was no way I wasn’t going back to the same mark for round 2. Again I arrived to find perfect conditions with the terns going crazy, but this time I had a cunning plan to avoid falling victim to the curse for a second time 😉.

Again the first lure on was the Frosty, but this time I reeled it back in at warp speed, there was no way a bass was getting anywhere near it this time I thought 😂. With the first cast out of the way, I then got down to the serious business of bass fishing. Over the next 5 hours I tried every lure I could think of which had produced the goods for me at the mark before, or which I thought might work. I also tried several lures which hadn’t been successful before, but despite the presence of baitfish and feeding terns, my plan didn’t work and I didn’t get a single touch all night 😭.

I eventually called it quits at 00:30, and as I walked back to the car I reflected on how my season seems to be going off the rails a little bit. I’ve been desperate for a few weeks now to get on to my usual June mark, but when the opportunity finally arrived, the move had backfired somewhat, with my first blank in 4 sessions. I guess it just goes to show that you should be careful what you wish for 🤔.

Nice report mate, and lovely pic as well.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back