• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Beach organisation tips?

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Evening folks

Hope you're all in top form.
A quick question/plea for advice!
Just started sea fishing, one trip under our belts, which went really well, but looking back and looking ahead, our organisation was pretty shambolic!
Apart from a constant retreat from the incoming tide, (lesson learnt, find out the high tide mark beforehand), it was generally Apart from a constant retreat from the incoming tide (lesson learned, find out high tide mark beforehand) it was generally Carry-on-Seafishing. (I do suffer from a bit of OCD, but you wouldn't think so if you had seen me last week).

Whenever I go coarse fishing, I have a general layout of stuff and it generally seems to work, but the edge of a diddy pond on a calm day is very different to the edge of the North Sea when it's blowing a proper hooly!
Without looking like the corks on an Outback Aussie's hat, with every single piece of kit on pieces of string/lanyards, I just found that within a very short period of time, all my kit was spread out everywhere, we didn't lose anything but that was just sheer luck/a miracle.

I just wanted to know if any of you have any tips for keeping organised and having the necessary bit of kit to hand.
The weather was good last time, but it probably won't be next time, so I would like to be a bit more organised.

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers :) (y)

Organised.jpg

If you're only fishing for a short time, say 3 or 4 hours over high or low , depending on the mark , then you might be surprised how little you need to bring. For me often a rucksack and/or bucket whilst carrying rods and tripod .
It can seem like a big itinerary list if you're travelling a long way from home to a mark, just in case .
when really apart from a good stock of fresh hooks and bait for the fishing you don't need to take much.
unless you're staying 8-12 hours plus, which at most places is hard to fish effectively anyway .

Thank you both.
Good advice.
Think I might be overthinking it and trying to take kit for every possible eventuality.
When I was a kid I used to ride 8 miles on my BMX with all my fishing kit, maybe need to simplify things 👍

I have two main ways of keeping my go to bits organized, depending on where I'm fishing.

First is to have a cut off 1l bottle (cut it about 6-8 inches tall), I keep my pliers, t bar and knife in there. This is in the bottom corner of my bag or one of the open side pockets, the other side of my bag has a velcro side pocket that keeps my spare rig bits and a couple of packs of hooks.
Bait is keps in its own cool bag in the top of my rucksack.

Second is to use my rod wraps (I use the neoprene MAP ones) that I use to keep my rods together. I wrap these round my middle tripod leg and put pliers under one, t-bar under the next , knife under the next.

Bait elastic is usually kept in the bait bag as that's when I'll need it each time and saves it getting other stuff messy with bait juice.

I'm curious.
Do most of you use a seat box, or a rucksack and seat (or just stand?)
Looking at seat boxes, but as with most marketing, once you start looking at stuff, you convince yourself that you need one!
(When sometimes you don't!)

I use a rucksack as I find it easier for me.
My dad loves his seat box on sandy beaches to keep the sand off of as much stuff as possible but uses his rucksack when he's fishing the rocks or shingle beaches.
No chairs for either of us, he sits in his box if he has it, if not we just stand or find a comfy rock to sit on.
Taking a box or rucksack can also depend on how much stuff you want to take, if you take alot of gear, a box would be a good idea, if you travel light, I'd look at a rucksack.

I'm curious.
Looking at seat boxes, but as with most marketing, once you start looking at stuff, you convince yourself that you need one!
I must be weird.. I take a fold up seat and just put my cutting board.. knife and bait elastic on it as well as an hour or so’s worth of bait.. I just use it like a work bench and never sit down on it..👍

I must be weird.. I take a fold up seat and just put my cutting board.. knife and bait elastic on it as well as an hour or so’s worth of bait.. I just use it like a work bench and never sit down on it..👍
I very rarely sit down tbh, even if I’ve taken a seat box

Evening folks

Hope you're all in top form.
A quick question/plea for advice!
Just started sea fishing, one trip under our belts, which went really well, but looking back and looking ahead, our organisation was pretty shambolic!
Apart from a constant retreat from the incoming tide, (lesson learnt, find out the high tide mark beforehand), it was generally Apart from a constant retreat from the incoming tide (lesson learned, find out high tide mark beforehand) it was generally Carry-on-Seafishing. (I do suffer from a bit of OCD, but you wouldn't think so if you had seen me last week).

Whenever I go coarse fishing, I have a general layout of stuff and it generally seems to work, but the edge of a diddy pond on a calm day is very different to the edge of the North Sea when it's blowing a proper hooly!
Without looking like the corks on an Outback Aussie's hat, with every single piece of kit on pieces of string/lanyards, I just found that within a very short period of time, all my kit was spread out everywhere, we didn't lose anything but that was just sheer luck/a miracle.

I just wanted to know if any of you have any tips for keeping organised and having the necessary bit of kit to hand.
The weather was good last time, but it probably won't be next time, so I would like to be a bit more organised.

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers :) (y)

View attachment 38475

Hi I remember one of my first trips to chesil on arrival at the car park as is often the case it looked pretty rough. Headed to the ticket machine & met a guy who had just driven down from Wales to do some spinning for mackerel. F@@king hell he said it doesn’t look like this on YouTube does it. I chuckled to myself as he fought to cast his spinner into the oncoming wind & soon retreated to his car, he was soon the one laughing though as I got to my chosen spot opened my seat box & the entire contents were sucked out by the wind and strewn across the beach with me running after them.

Nowadays I use a rucksack & keep things in Tupperware type containers, they keep stuff dry & separate & I am only taking out what needs to be out. I also carry a couple of seat box trays or similar which fit in my cool/bait bag & keep the tools I am using to bait up plus forceps etc in so they don’t get swallowed by the shingle.

I Don’t take a seat as one less thing to carry.

I usually seem to set up too far back & end up going up & down the beach a hundred times but better safe than sorry I guess.

Hope some of the above helps

I'm curious.
I was convinced I needed a seatbox, but hardly ever use it. Can't lug it around due to breathing issues, so did strap it to a set of sack trucks which worked well, but the inner tubes for the sack trucks need replacing. Bought some but not getting around to fitting them.

I use one of these wheeled 'carts' most of the time for Piers and hard ground. Similar size to a seatbox and works very well. I made a plywood lid for it which keeps stuff dry and I can perch on it if needed. Everything goes in there, couple of buckets sit on top, and rods & tripod in a rod holdall over my shoulder.

Aldi folding trolley.jpg

EDIT: If you do decide to get a seatbox, be aware that there are a number different Shakespeare versions & colours.
I acquired a Shakespeare 'beta' seatbox (smaller one with single front catch), and one of the kind guys on here sent me some side trays for it, but they don't fit inside the box.
You're best off getting the slightly bigger one (two catches on the front) as then the trays come into their own. They will 'hang' side by side inside the box, and when clipped to the outside, they are great for all of your frequently used bits like Knife, Pliers, bait elastic, and of course your bait. 👍👍

images

Last edited:
Thank you Transfer.
Much appreciated.
Was looking at a seat box with trays set-up, didn't realise that the trays aren't universal.
The Makro cart looks an interesting idea.
I bought a really, really comfy adjustable chair for cc parse fishing, but it is so blooming heavy, that unless where I'm fishing is ri go t next to the van, it stays at home.
(It's currently on eBay, hoping a rich carp angler will snap it up, freeing up some bra$$ for more useful gear ! 🤞)

Thanks again 👍

Seat box for me tray holds scissors bait elastic spare pks of hooks baiting tools needles etc pliers and other bits tipper ware box for weights 3 of each weight size depending on which rods I’m useing and conditions and wit area I’m fishing rough ground then probsly up to 15 weights rig winders in a designated box rigs depending on target species as little as ten in winter upto 30 in summer head torch 2 of reels and spare spools orso carry have a square bucket that I’ve bolted to the bucket lid this orso carry’s my food and flask then I ussaly use a tronix pro bait cool bag that gets bungee corded to top of my box pack orso carry small zip lock bags that used rigs go into arfter a session they will get cut up at home and terminal tackle recycled hooks and lines cut and discarded and ffs never forget yer bait towel😂 but box pk for me every time if I’m honest mate unless long distance

I use a seat box ,all I take is 3 reels,3 rods,rod rest I only use 2 rods/reels at a time 1 spare, about a dozen rigs 6 to 8 leads,and general odds and sods,this gear is for a 6 to 8 hr session,give it time you will soon learn what you need to take, I usually end up taking to much !!!.Tight lines for when you next go mate

Seat box for me tray holds scissors bait elastic spare pks of hooks baiting tools needles etc pliers and other bits tipper ware box for weights 3 of each weight size depending on which rods I’m useing and conditions and wit area I’m fishing rough ground then probsly up to 15 weights rig winders in a designated box rigs depending on target species as little as ten in winter upto 30 in summer head torch 2 of reels and spare spools orso carry have a square bucket that I’ve bolted to the bucket lid this orso carry’s my food and flask then I ussaly use a tronix pro bait cool bag that gets bungee corded to top of my box pack orso carry small zip lock bags that used rigs go into arfter a session they will get cut up at home and terminal tackle recycled hooks and lines cut and discarded and ffs never forget yer bait towel😂 but box pk for me every time if I’m honest mate unless long distance
Cheers Joe.
Much appreciated.
Some top tips there.
I think if I ever forgot my bait towel, I'd go home. Everything ended up a proper stinking, festering mess when I had a postage stamp sized rag last time.
Trip planned this weekend 🤞👍

Back