• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Beaten By the Grandson (Again)

Wobbler72

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
For a variety of reasons, I’ve not managed to get a session afloat with my son and grandson for over a year now. With a forecast of flat calm seas, we put that right yesterday.

We decided to keep it simple. No messy bait, just lure fishing for Bass was to be the order of the day. Nice and relaxed.

We set off down the South Llyn coast around 9am and were surprised by the conditions. Not flat calm at all: choppy across the bay; and decent swell around Ceiriad headland. We dropped into a few bays to see what was about.

First blood came to me, but only a small Pollackn not what we came for. We pushed on. Next stop I was into the first Bass of the day on the first drift. Nothing special, just a schoolie of around 2-2.5lb. A few drifts later, I had my second of the day, again probably a couple of pounds. “Many a good tune played on an old fiddle”, I said. “Try and keep up” :) (ever regretted saying something?).

We stuck around this mark for a while and my son Mark and Grandson Jack both managed to find a couple of Bass each to level the score. We also found plenty of the ubiquitous 1-2lb Pollack as well as some decent (for around here) 2lb Coalfish and Wrasse, which was nice to see.

Jack, with his best of the day. Guessing 2.5lb (the rest were all pretty similar).

E8852A39-7DF3-4578-AEC8-2B55E3E4A189.jpeg

As the day drew on we eventually upped sticks and began to work our way back towards port, dropping into the bays as we did so.

Once again pollack in the 1-2lb range were easy to find. Not so the Bass …….. unless your name was Jack. The little beggar managed another two to the boat, winning our mini comp. Bragging rights went to Jack. And boy does he know how to milk the bragging rights :)

We need to get him back out and beat him for his own good very soon. Character-building, that’s what it’ll be ?

So nothing much to write home about on the fishing front really, but a good day out with the family :)

Kev

Back