• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Beefed Up Two-Hook Clipped Down Rig?

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I'm looking to target Rays in areas I haven't explored much yet or know much about. but suspect SE rays to be there. Therefore, was thinking of doubling up bait to maximise scent trail etc. and was thinking of blasting out two clipped-down sandeels to increase the odds slightly. I think it's highly highly unlikely of a double hook up, so thinking this might give me an edge to find that fish. Does anyone else do this?

I'm looking to target Rays in areas I haven't explored much yet or know much about. but suspect SE rays to be there. Therefore, was thinking of doubling up bait to maximise scent trail etc. and was thinking of blasting out two clipped-down sandeels to increase the odds slightly. I think it's highly highly unlikely of a double hook up, so thinking this might give me an edge to find that fish. Does anyone else do this?
Not a species I fish for RW, but no doubt someone will answer your question later. 👍👍

I've used 2 hook clipped rigs made with 60 lb mono a few times when I've been fishing and had a chance or a ray or huss taking a bait, proved to be a very useful rig a few times, had guess upto double figures on them.
Imo the main limiting factor on two hook rigs with big fish is the crimps, I always use coil crimps and never have a problem (I only use them as they don't need tools and are reusable).

I use a 2 hook loop rig all the time with my Ray/Bass fishing, hook lengths of about 3-4ft depending on strength of the tide.
Not sure how crimps could be an issue though, I don’t crimp tight to the snood swivel but let the hook length swivel “float” between bead and crimps spaced around 4 inches apart (if that makes sense?) with a power gum stop knot on the top snood swivel to take up the slack. Then when changing hook lengths I can without renewing the rig body.
Works for me anyway 👌

Back