• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Big rods back out after a break.

Si-fly

Reaction score
As the local fishing has been dire, I've not bothered since my tiddler bash a couple weeks back, and getting restless I saw a break in the weather and decided to get my ass in gear and go try for a ray and a hound.
As I arrived the rain started to come down lightly, and it was pretty much on /off for the session, but the wind was almost zero which was nice.
The plan was one rod on prawn for the hounds, the other on squid for the rays...just an easy 4hr trip with bait out the freezer.
Out went the baits, and I was sorting out some spare rigs when off went the squid rod!....that was quick ...No1 ray was landed...blank saved.
Always nice to get a fish under your belt when the fishing has been dire.

After that it was a constant stream of bites on the squid, and zero on the prawn....I did think of changing the prawn for squid, but I was happy with the catch rate, so held out for a hound, which unfortunately just didn't happen.

What did happen though, right near the end of the session, was the landing of a nice eel, a cracker which bottomed out my 20lb scales!....typical the day I didn't bother grabbing the big scales as they have been playing up 🙈

Oh well, don't think it was much over 20lb, and just well pleased to catch it and get a single pic that turned out ok....remote didn't work, and wet fingers were a nightmare on the phone screen!

So a successful trip, 8 thornbacks and a nice Snake 😁

Cheers all
Si.PXL_20230704_121240529.jpg
IMG-20230704-WA0013~2.jpg

Great report Si, nice bag of Thornies, and a lovely conger...nice one. Fab pics too. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Well Done Si some nice Ray's and Eel all the Hounds are on Holidays in Swansea plenty Caught yesterday there 👍

Another good report Si and brilliant photos as well. Nice haul of Rays and an excellent Sid Snakey thing!

Back