• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Bit of a surprise

bananas

Reaction score
Went out Salcombe way again trying for a Gilt, quite surprised with conditions when I got there, calm sea, very light North wind and not that cold!
Got one rod up and working and in the water, got the 2nd up and cast, soon as in the rest, the first rod bucked, fish on and a schoolie slid up the beach, blank avoided, then soon as that rod was cast and in the rest the other rod bucked, another fish on, didn't feel as feisty as the Bass did, when it came out the water I couldn't work out what it was till my light hit it, bloody hell a Mullet and a red at that, wow, wasn't expecting that at all, thought id missed the boat this year on them, pics done and a quick weigh showed he was just half a oz under one pound, still a nice little lump.
IMG_20211123_172611.jpg
After him a few more schoolies came out and a couple of small Pouting, then had a small tappy bite, felt a bit like weed on the retrieve, till the thing wriggled out the surf and up on to the sand, strap Conger, luckily he stayed away from tangling the trace and he was soon back looking for his mates.
Went dead for an hour after high water turned, bar crabs stripping baits quick. Loaded up the last of my lug and popped it out as far as I could, just as I was baiting up the spare trace, the lug rod screamed and lifted in the air. didn't need to strike as could feel the fish dragging trace and weight up stream, after a few good head shakes he just went limp and stayed like that all the way in, till he was in my hand, always think schoolies give a better scrap, this nice Bass went 2.8lb when on the scales and got a dissevered tap on the nut and in the bag for tea.
IMG_20211123_211553.jpg
Still quiet after him for the next hour bar another schoolie and tiny Pouting, so just gone 10pm and with the bait nearly all gone, I decided to call the gilt hunt over, till next time.

Went out Salcombe way again trying for a Gilt, quite surprised with conditions when I got there, calm sea, very light North wind and not that cold!
Got one rod up and working and in the water, got the 2nd up and cast, soon as in the rest, the first rod bucked, fish on and a schoolie slid up the beach, blank avoided, then soon as that rod was cast and in the rest the other rod bucked, another fish on, didn't feel as feisty as the Bass did, when it came out the water I couldn't work out what it was till my light hit it, bloody hell a Mullet and a red at that, wow, wasn't expecting that at all, thought id missed the boat this year on them, pics done and a quick weigh showed he was just half a oz under one pound, still a nice little lump.
View attachment 18415
After him a few more schoolies came out and a couple of small Pouting, then had a small tappy bite, felt a bit like weed on the retrieve, till the thing wriggled out the surf and up on to the sand, strap Conger, luckily he stayed away from tangling the trace and he was soon back looking for his mates.
Went dead for an hour after high water turned, bar crabs stripping baits quick. Loaded up the last of my lug and popped it out as far as I could, just as I was baiting up the spare trace, the lug rod screamed and lifted in the air. didn't need to strike as could feel the fish dragging trace and weight up stream, after a few good head shakes he just went limp and stayed like that all the way in, till he was in my hand, always think schoolies give a better scrap, this nice Bass went 2.8lb when on the scales and got a dissevered tap on the nut and in the bag for tea.
View attachment 18416
Still quiet after him for the next hour bar another schoolie and tiny Pouting, so just gone 10pm and with the bait nearly all gone, I decided to call the gilt hunt over, till next time.
Very nice!!! Good to see a few different species coming out, this years been strange!!!

Lovely red mullet ?
I've never had one, such lovely fish to look at.... Well done mate, and on the other fish as well.... Sounds a busy session ????

Red mullet aaannnnd a nice bass. Truly spoilt you are!
Good to see a few different species coming out, this years been strange!!!
yeah has been a bit of a odd year, this spot I been fishing this year has thrown up a few species that ive never had in the 25 years of fishing it.

Well done Bob! Great report & photos! Nice Bass and that Red Mullet is stunning! ????

Back