• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Bit of Christmas peace, and a bass!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Nice as it is to have my 3 girls and their boyfriends home and plenty of nice things to eat and drink. The time comes for a bit of peace and solitude.

I have plenty of bait that was bought in anticipation of a return trip to Wobarrow Bay. Obviously the rain and big winds put paid to that.

I just needed some peace and quiet and l have a local spot where l can fish from my van with the hope of flounder, bass and in the summer, mullet. Set up my 10ft Shakespeare flattie rods with flappers, size 4 hooks and old and new rag worm bait. Flicked them out short, bungeed them onto the fence and then back into the van, where l was out of the wind and in the warm. I had tea and bits and bobs of Christmas food. Radio on low, absolute bliss! View through the van wind screen.
20221230_135030.jpg
I did have some company in the form of a Kestrel that was using the wind to good effect, as it hovered with hardly a flap of its wings looking for prey.
20221230_135122.jpg
Bait changes every 20 mins due to the crabs. Not much happening and no bites, but not in the least bothered by that. Just what l wanted.

I had just baited up again and was looking at my phone and had a quick look up at the rods, just as the tip of one went right, then just as quick, went left. Bass on! Jumped out of my van, unhooked the bungee and game on!

I was trying to work out if it had gone under or over the other rod. I made the wrong decision on that, so had to undo my move under the other rod. It all added to the tussle with the bass, and made it harder to keep contact with it, as it continued to run back and forth in the shallow water. These lighter rods and small reels make for great feedback from the fish. I was about 5 ft above the fish, but was able to land it to a remaining bit of shingle, then lift it up and safely onto the grass. It's not a PB, but a chunky bass all the same and it gave a good account of itself.
20221229_130244.jpg
I had another couple of casts looking for a flounder to make the session perfect, but it was not to be.

Soul restored, time for the short trip home and ready for the next bout of eating, drinking and chat!

Hope you have all had a decent Christmas and all the best to you all in the New Year.

Great report Goatee, nice photos, and a good result! Well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

Looks like my kind of mark! Happy 2023 to you & yours!

Certainly beats sitting indoors stuffing yourself with yet more Christmas goodies. Nice bonus bass as well.
Nice as it is to have my 3 girls and their boyfriends home and plenty of nice things to eat and drink. The time comes for a bit of peace and solitude.

I have plenty of bait that was bought in anticipation of a return trip to Wobarrow Bay. Obviously the rain and big winds put paid to that.

I just needed some peace and quiet and l have a local spot where l can fish from my van with the hope of flounder, bass and in the summer, mullet. Set up my 10ft Shakespeare flattie rods with flappers, size 4 hooks and old and new rag worm bait. Flicked them out short, bungeed them onto the fence and then back into the van, where l was out of the wind and in the warm. I had tea and bits and bobs of Christmas food. Radio on low, absolute bliss! View through the van wind screen.
View attachment 37671
I did have some company in the form of a Kestrel that was using the wind to good effect, as it hovered with hardly a flap of its wings looking for prey.
View attachment 37670
Bait changes every 20 mins due to the crabs. Not much happening and no bites, but not in the least bothered by that. Just what l wanted.

I had just baited up again and was looking at my phone and had a quick look up at the rods, just as the tip of one went right, then just as quick, went left. Bass on! Jumped out of my van, unhooked the bungee and game on!

I was trying to work out if it had gone under or over the other rod. I made the wrong decision on that, so had to undo my move under the other rod. It all added to the tussle with the bass, and made it harder to keep contact with it, as it continued to run back and forth in the shallow water. These lighter rods and small reels make for great feedback from the fish. I was about 5 ft above the fish, but was able to land it to a remaining bit of shingle, then lift it up and safely onto the grass. It's not a PB, but a chunky bass all the same and it gave a good account of itself.
View attachment 37669
I had another couple of casts looking for a flounder to make the session perfect, but it was not to be.

Soul restored, time for the short trip home and ready for the next bout of eating, drinking and chat!

Hope you have all had a decent Christmas and all the best to you all in the New Year.

Back