• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Black lug storage

Tatunka joe

Reaction score
I’ve taken delivery of a 100 fresh blacks yesterday but with the small tides didn’t really want to waste em so gonna go out Friday my question is Wots the best way to store them just keep em in the fridge or is there something else I can do to keep them fresher any info greatly recived 👍👍👍

Every one has their own method, but for me, I store them wrapped in a double layer of newspaper in 10s. Then wrap that in another newspaper but as a score. Then stand upright, Tail down in a dry fridge.
The importance of keeping worms dry can not be stressed enough.

The above is excellent advice if wanting to keep them fresh and in tip top condition👍. If you're wanting to keep some for longer then I fully recommend blanching them before freezing. (I've posted the method on here before - you should be able to find it via the search function) It really has been a complete game changer for my bait fishing. I use it for all my shore and boat fishing. Even if I'm expecting to pump bait during a shore session, I’ll take a wrap or two of blanched to get/keep me going - very handy if the pumping is difficult! For my area it's the best 'grab and go' to continually have on standby and far, far better than the usual frozen slop. Done properly with the freshest black (ie not bait that's on the turn and past its best) it lasts for years in a deep freeze and any unused that has defrosted can be refrigerated for the next session (max. a week). Good bait is too valuable to waste imo

Just bung them in freezer mate. Never noticed a difference between fresh & frozen blacks anyway.

I’ve taken delivery of a 100 fresh blacks yesterday but with the small tides didn’t really want to waste em so gonna go out Friday my question is Wots the best way to store them just keep em in the fridge or is there something else I can do to keep them fresher any info greatly recived 👍👍👍

When you say fresh blacks, are they slaps ?

Dave

Back