• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast BLANK ....... BLANK ........TARGET

Mukiwa

Reaction score
20220121_172231.jpgGood evening guys.

" I fish to scratch the surface of those mysteries, for nearness to the beautiful, and to reassure myself the world remains" Carl Safina

During this sadness, that merryleggs and myself find ourselves in, I managed to break free to find peace by the water, a breather and reflection.

Water Sky Cloud Body of water Lake

My first blanking session was Hayling ferry side at fort Cumberland. A lovely day of still calm weather, but the rod tips reflected that too.

Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Water resources

My Second blank was the submarine blocks at southsea. I have heard so many stories of wonderful fish coming from the area, but as we fished in the day time, the amount of people out walking put me off. With the rod tips not moving, we chose to move back RNLI ramp at fort Cumberland to blank. Lol

My last session, as time was running out before going back to work, was going to be Hillhead. Possible flounder by the sailing club, then at low which was at 18:00, move to the spit, for that possible early ray, most likely would be ting fest at best.

With baits ordered, merryleggs working from 12 noon till 20:00, this was going to be a great little session.......... so I thought.

Fast forward, getting drinks, losing merreleggs phone, collecting bait, hitting road works, only change location to warsash for a flounder, only to leave my phone in the car when merrylegs left.

Oh no, now how am I going to prove a beast of a catch, lol.

Well, walking the path, praying merryleggs would find the phone and not to panic that she has not heard from me.

Water Cloud Sky Atmosphere Tree

Setting up, near the path, incase merryleggs comes back, which she did that goodness, bless her. The wind was biting cold, but a warm sun in the shelter of the retaining wall made it into lovely session.

With two rods, two clip down rigs baited and cast to areas that look great fish holding areas , raised my Hope's of just one flounder. Tide was well into the ebb, casting and chasing the water as time went on, looking for signs on the water surface, of gullies or sand bars to which I could find a fish. Reeling to rebait, normal bare hooks, second rod reeled to find ........... what......... splash on the surface, ok just a small bass. As the fish got closer, I could now feel it, landing this lovely flounder, not big, but what beautiful colour, and how camouflage it was.

Bedrock Building material Road surface Cobblestone Pebble

That got thinking about fish in different areas with markings or colours to blend in. Like cod in kelp up north being red, undilate Ray's round rock Mark's being darker than the one I have caught in the solent.

Any way, the fish back in its watery world, the fishing restarted with me right down in the channel. Changing my rigs to up and over rigs, but with 180g plain lead on one rod and 150g plain lead on the other. Just so when casting into the flood tide, one rod will sit in a different place to the other, and roll differently. My thinking anyway.

Sunset, and darkness starting to surround me, waiting for a sign of a fish, walking around in circles, looking at the rods then proceeding, as if I am doing some kind magical dance, my rod pulled round , shocked to land a beautiful 43cm bass. Oh my goodness.

Water Fin Fish Marine biology Liquid

Cold hands ......cold feet, were now warmed with the excitement. Rebaiting, casting waiting with eagerness, to have the rod hit again, sadly dropping the fish close to shore, as I was using size 4 hooks. For while it was hit after hit, finally the next fish stuck, landing a 46 cm bass. Just stunning.

Water Fish Fin Marine biology Tail

No sooner did the action start it stopped , making way for the Whiting fest which I knew nothing else would get a look in.

Fish Marine biology Liquid Food Ray-finned fish

20:00 arrived, merryleggs was on her way, thank goodness. Didnt feel like playing with whiting for the night. But so made up with this flounder that had such beautiful markings.

Thank you for reading my very short report. Stay warm, safe and very tight lines.

Cheers

Mukiwa

Terrestrial animal Marine biology Snout Bedrock Reptile

Great report and photos that's a nice flounder lovely markings well done on a good session ?

Good report & piccys mate ,nice flounder well done ???,did you weigh it ?
Thank you mate. Sadly I didnt weight it. But guessing a length of 22 to 23 cms ish. Minus 4cm to 5 cms for the fisherman tails. Total guess really.

Tight lines mate

Last edited:
Great sessions mate, and nice pics too. Well done both. (y)

Ian.

Well done Mucky, target achieved! You’re right, really amazing markings on that flounder.
We get lots here in our estuary in season but they’re either brown with faint orange spots if fresh from the sea, or greenish after they’ve been in the river a while.

That's a great camouflage pattern on the flounder to blend in with the stony bottom.
It was only after looking at the photo, I realised how camouflage it was, but the first time really looked at flounder in detail, also rough points on the lateral line and fins.

Tight lines mate

Well done Mucky, target achieved! You’re right, really amazing markings on that flounder.
We get lots here in our estuary in season but they’re either brown with faint orange spots if fresh from the sea, or greenish after they’ve been in the river a while.
Lol mucky ??

Thank you Tony, that is exactly what I am used to colour wise. This was just stunning, and little white fin amazing

Tight lines mate

Lol mucky ??

Thank you Tony, that is exactly what I am used to colour wise. This was just stunning, and little white fin amazing

Tight lines mate
?? it amused me!

Yes, it’s surprising how they adapt in different areas.
The only other stone pattern markings I’ve seen on a flounder was from the estuary at Teignmouth, which is more stony and a lot different to my local estuary.

View attachment 21882Good evening guys.

" I fish to scratch the surface of those mysteries, for nearness to the beautiful, and to reassure myself the world remains" Carl Safina

During this sadness, that merryleggs and myself find ourselves in, I managed to break free to find peace by the water, a breather and reflection.

Water Sky Cloud Body of water Lake

My first blanking session was Hayling ferry side at fort Cumberland. A lovely day of still calm weather, but the rod tips reflected that too.

Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Water resources

My Second blank was the submarine blocks at southsea. I have heard so many stories of wonderful fish coming from the area, but as we fished in the day time, the amount of people out walking put me off. With the rod tips not moving, we chose to move back RNLI ramp at fort Cumberland to blank. Lol

My last session, as time was running out before going back to work, was going to be Hillhead. Possible flounder by the sailing club, then at low which was at 18:00, move to the spit, for that possible early ray, most likely would be ting fest at best.

With baits ordered, merryleggs working from 12 noon till 20:00, this was going to be a great little session.......... so I thought.

Fast forward, getting drinks, losing merreleggs phone, collecting bait, hitting road works, only change location to warsash for a flounder, only to leave my phone in the car when merrylegs left.

Oh no, now how am I going to prove a beast of a catch, lol.

Well, walking the path, praying merryleggs would find the phone and not to panic that she has not heard from me.

Water Cloud Sky Atmosphere Tree

Setting up, near the path, incase merryleggs comes back, which she did that goodness, bless her. The wind was biting cold, but a warm sun in the shelter of the retaining wall made it into lovely session.

With two rods, two clip down rigs baited and cast to areas that look great fish holding areas , raised my Hope's of just one flounder. Tide was well into the ebb, casting and chasing the water as time went on, looking for signs on the water surface, of gullies or sand bars to which I could find a fish. Reeling to rebait, normal bare hooks, second rod reeled to find ........... what......... splash on the surface, ok just a small bass. As the fish got closer, I could now feel it, landing this lovely flounder, not big, but what beautiful colour, and how camouflage it was.

Bedrock Building material Road surface Cobblestone Pebble

That got thinking about fish in different areas with markings or colours to blend in. Like cod in kelp up north being red, undilate Ray's round rock Mark's being darker than the one I have caught in the solent.

Any way, the fish back in its watery world, the fishing restarted with me right down in the channel. Changing my rigs to up and over rigs, but with 180g plain lead on one rod and 150g plain lead on the other. Just so when casting into the flood tide, one rod will sit in a different place to the other, and roll differently. My thinking anyway.

Sunset, and darkness starting to surround me, waiting for a sign of a fish, walking around in circles, looking at the rods then proceeding, as if I am doing some kind magical dance, my rod pulled round , shocked to land a beautiful 43cm bass. Oh my goodness.

Water Fin Fish Marine biology Liquid

Cold hands ......cold feet, were now warmed with the excitement. Rebaiting, casting waiting with eagerness, to have the rod hit again, sadly dropping the fish close to shore, as I was using size 4 hooks. For while it was hit after hit, finally the next fish stuck, landing a 46 cm bass. Just stunning.

Water Fish Fin Marine biology Tail

No sooner did the action start it stopped , making way for the Whiting fest which I knew nothing else would get a look in.

Fish Marine biology Liquid Food Ray-finned fish

20:00 arrived, merryleggs was on her way, thank goodness. Didnt feel like playing with whiting for the night. But so made up with this flounder that had such beautiful markings.

Thank you for reading my very short report. Stay warm, safe and very tight lines.

Cheers

Mukiwa

Terrestrial animal Marine biology Snout Bedrock Reptile
Great pictures by the way..class

?? it amused me!

Yes, it’s surprising how they adapt in different areas.
The only other stone pattern markings I’ve seen on a flounder was from the estuary at Teignmouth, which is more stony and a lot different to my local estuary.
I was just going to say that, it was very stoney, with oysters everywhere. The shallow pools and gullies where the same.

Back