• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Blow Lug.

Trampster

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Nothing better (for me anyway!) than to sit down with a mug of Coffee and watch a bit of Billy Fishing! Pumping Blow Lug on a freezing beach and how he preps them for freezing!

I prefer to use them freshly dug ,
Me too. Never tried salted worm and people here say they’ve caught on it so it must work, but for myself I’d prefer to use the freshest bait I could get.

It’s hardly an exact science but the trick if possible is to try and only buy or dig what you need.
Personally I’d rather run out of worm towards the end of a session than chuck half a pound away.

Last edited:
Me too. Never tried salted worm and people here say they’ve caught on it so it must work, but for myself I’d prefer to use the freshest bait I could get.

It’s hardly an exact science but the trick if possible is to try and only buy or dig what you need.
Personally I’d rather run out of worm towards the end of a session than chuck half a pound away.
Everyone to their own! Billy is living in Denmark but mainly fishing in Norway. He reckons that his frozen Lug are catching better than fresh, and can easily be re-frozen if unused.

Everyone to their own! Billy is living in Denmark but mainly fishing in Norway. He reckons that his frozen Lug are catching better than fresh, and can easily be re-frozen if unused.
Fair enough but it just seems too much faff to me for a few handfuls of worms, which is what it would be for us over here. Or for me anyway.

There’s also the scenario that if he’s confident in the bait and uses it a lot then it would appear to be better than fresh.

Fair enough but it just seems too much faff to me for a few handfuls of worms, which is what it would be for us over here. Or for me anyway.

There’s also the scenario that if he’s confident in the bait and uses it a lot then it would appear to be better than fresh.
Another advantage is that if he is able to go out, pump & freeze a couple of hundred Lug (which he does), he's always got winter bait handy without having to go dig or buy some.

They don't look like blow lug to me.
Black lug or yellowtail.
They may have different worms in Denmark though.
I've managed to pump a few blow lug but it's very difficult to get them out in one piece.

They don't look like blow lug to me.
Black lug or yellowtail.
They may have different worms in Denmark though.
I've managed to pump a few blow lug but it's very difficult to get them out in one piece.
Ah, skimmed through it now. Yes they look more like black to me.

In that case, salting then would make a lot more sense. And be a decent bait.

No pun intended! I’m sure when I’ve dug for what limited blacks we have here, there’s a small cast and a blow hole a short distance away

never used frozen blow lug,
everytime I use fresh blow all the juices run out as it`s threaded on the hook,
surely no juice means no scent.

Back