• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Blow Lug.

Black lug have a single entrance into a J shaped burrow. They feed on detritus under the surface.
Common or blow lug have two, a cast and a breather/feeder hole. They feed on stuff on the surface of the sand.
With black lug It's normal not to have a cast sometimes, it's their waste material which is washed away by the water unless they are exposed at low tide.
I've pumped yellowtail lug on the IOW, and a few blow lug. Not easy here and there is only one location where blacks are found that I am aware of.
It's rarely uncovered so opportunities to pump them will be rare.

Black lug have a single entrance into a J shaped burrow. They feed on detritus under the surface.
Common or blow lug have two, a cast and a breather/feeder hole. They feed on stuff on the surface of the sand.
With black lug It's normal not to have a cast sometimes, it's their waste material which is washed away by the water unless they are exposed at low tide.
I've pumped yellowtail lug on the IOW, and a few blow lug. Not easy here and there is only one location where blacks are found that I am aware of.
It's rarely uncovered so opportunities to pump them will be rare.
So they do have holes?

PM me with those locations Wolf, see if I can add a third!
Best time for pumping has always been at slack low, as soon as it turns have another 15minutes then pack up.
If those marks produce I'll drop a few through your letter box.

So they do have holes?
Yes they have a hole but it's hidden by the cast a lot of the time.
When the cast has been washed away then the hole will fill with sand so you'll rarely see it.
Black lug only live at the low water area as well, whereas blow live higher up the beach.
If you see casts near the top of the beach they are probably juvenile blow lug, a bit lower down will be the bigger blow lug then a gap before the black lug colonies, ( but only if they have colonised that beach).
Generally you will need a long flat beach where a lot of ground is uncovered on big spring tides.

Ryde beach produced a few yellowtail lug for me a couple of years ago but apart from the dog getting a good run it was hardly worth the effort.
That said, pumping lug is an interesting pastime and you can always take some salt and try to coax a few razors out.

Hi Ianpick,one is off quarr abbey in front of the Ryde edge of the woods,on the edge of a shingle bank,the other one off Woodside,another shingle bank,straight opposite the path,that's if the storms haven't destroyed the banks mate

Back