• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Boat fishing cornwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talkseasy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Hello all i am thinking of going boat fishing in cornwall can anyone recommend a good area and how far out , or any advice as i am a beginner thanks

Welcome Talk, not my neck of the woods, sorry.

Do you mean charter boats, or you self piloting your own craft ?
I hope at least if you are self piloting you have all the things you really should have, I have seen a few hopelessly ill equipped boat owners set out with good intentions and come a cropper . The Cornish coast is beautiful but beware, it can be a cruel mistress .

Dave

Do you mean charter boats, or you self piloting your own craft ?
I hope at least if you are self piloting you have all the things you really should have, I have seen a few hopelessly ill equipped boat owners set out with good intentions and come a cropper . The Cornish coast is beautiful but beware, it can be a cruel mistress .

Dave
Thanks for your reply dave , i have been an all round fisherman all my life carp in france , salmon in sweden , coarse fished here in uk for 40 years but as i am getting older (61) i fancy spending 5-8 grand on a boat and doing a bit of sea fishing but i know nothing about boats snd little about sea fishing. I do fancy pitting a few pots out and fishing for lobster and doing the odd hour bottom fishing with a bit of mackrel/ squid. Essential things to have on a boat would be handy to know please

Welcome to the Madhouse Talkseasy.

Do the course Ollie linked before you do anything else. If/When you do get a boat, I know a lot of folk launch their boats from Mylor, just north of Falmouth. That gives you the option of fishing for Bream and other species in the estuary, or heading further out.

Unless you are intending to live in Cornwall, I wouldn't advise bothering with pots - lots have been stolen or cut adrift in the last couple of years.

Courses - depends on how far out you plan to go & type of fishing etc BUT I do recommend you do PB1 or even PB3 depending on the first factors. Radio procedures etc can save lives / help with rescues. I have the Advanced PB ( Yacht master equivalent) but that is more than you need for inshore stuff. Also read up on Anchoring, Anchors etc as this is an area where grief can arrive quickly!

Cannot advise on fishing marks etc in Cornwall. Good luck & welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back