• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Boscombe Pier 3rd Jan

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
A last minute decision, bored with never ending bank holidays I decided to see what was about under Boscombe Pier.
Hopes were not high as it has not been fishing at all well recently.
Plenty of squid and gar in the freezer and some salted rag so there was no need to detour for bait.

I started fishing at about 5:30pm, out of the wind and away from the usual cloud of cannabis smoke at the end.

bosc.JPG

There was a fair swell rolling through so grip weights were attached so that the line on the light rods could be tightened to try to remove the wave action 'bites'. Bait was frozen gar, a strip on each of size 4 or 2 hooks on my usual variation of a two hook Wessex rig.

I didn't have to wait long before there was a big bite on one of the flattie rods and I reeled in a nicely marked Undulate Ray number seven for the species hunt. After that there was a quiet period with no interest on either rod.
I baited up a scaled down Wessex Rig on a spinning rod with scraps of salted rag on size 8 hooks, put on a small watch lead and dropped it down close in to see what small stuff was about near the pier leg. After about 10 minutes a tentative bite developed, I left it for a while as I was chatting to a passer-by then it got more definite and I reeled in what looked like a Turbot in the water but turned out to be a Brill, number eight, not so common there as a Turbot but not a particularly rare catch.

The wind had dropped and the sea had quietened down so the leads were swapped over to smooth type and a shoal of pout turned up, three or four of those and a skinny whiting kept me amused.
There was some interest in the tiny hook/spinning rod which turned out to be a small Plaice, number nine. Salted rag certainly works.

It was getting towards the 10:30/11pm closing time and I was thinking of packing up, pleased enough with three new species when there was an enthusiastic bite on on of the flattie rods, a tiny Smoothhound pretending to be a biggy.

Number ten, a nice end to a pleasant session.

That turned into a good session there Cap, very well done on the new species(y)(y)

That turned into a good session there Cap, very well done on the new species(y)(y)
Thanks, you should pay us a visit sometime.

What a great start

Other people who were fishing caught a Thornback Ray, Flounder, Dab, Turbot and a Gilthead Bream in addition to the species I caught.

You never know what might be there.

Great session, well done. I’m new to all this and haven’t ventured that way to get the rods wet yet, maybe worth a visit sometime.

Great session well done. Heading to Weymouth pier with my daughter on Sunday to start our sea fishing for the year.

You do know Steveburt that your daughter will probably out fish you mate ??

Good session there captain can anybody fish Boscombe pier what time does it shut and what's the parking like can you park close

Good session there captain can anybody fish Boscombe pier what time does it shut and what's the parking like can you park close
The pier opens at 9 and is closed at about 10:30 to 11pm, there is a charge but only if the bloke comes around to collect it*.
Parking in the Overstrand car park at BH5 1BN is £3.80/24 hrs in winter and eye-watering in summer.
Parking on the road above, called The Marina, is free in winter and after 5pm in summer .

* shrugging and replying in some foreign language might cause him to wander off looking for an easier life.

Back