• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Braggnel bar rig

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi gents
When would you use the Braggnel bar rig and what advantages does it have, apologies if this question has already been asked.

I’ve not used one my self but I have read a few articles on them mate, from what I can gather they come in handy when casting long distances with large trace/hook lengths. Holds the bait firmly in place streamline to the lead for the best tangle free cast... guessing aimed at Tope, hound or ray fishing. Be good to hear if anyone used them though!

I’ve not used one my self but I have read a few articles on them mate, from what I can gather they come in handy when casting long distances with large trace/hook lengths. Holds the bait firmly in place streamline to the lead for the best tangle free cast... guessing aimed at Tope, hound or ray fishing. Be good to hear if anyone used them though!
Many thanks
I'm trying picture one and how it works

It works just like that mate.

Attachments

• 14A19D63-00C7-45C6-809D-F327D3164239.png
    14A19D63-00C7-45C6-809D-F327D3164239.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
I have never used one but have heard rumours the they are better if made with very heavy lbs nylon instead of the stainless steel bar something to do with hook ups or bite detection but like I say never used one

I never used one myself,a mate of mine has ,and he uses heavy nylon instead of the steel bar,he reckons it works better with heavy line, hope this helps.
Correct wolf, you can buy them made with 30lb amnesia line, not something I’ll ever use a whole lot but the idea of it makes good sense for casting those big baits long old distances!

If they are made with 30lb line I wouldn't like to put a 5oz lead and a ray bait on one
I would agree, they must make them with different breaking strains, I know sunset amnesia is used allot for rig making and leader, good line! So I’m guessing it would be a good choice just using a heavier line perhaps

I use the bagnell bar rig a lot fir but mainly for plaice I use a 4 ft trace 20lb amnesia any longer seems to tangle have had an angry 9 lb eel on them so will take bigger fish but better rigs for that IMO casts like a dart and keeps the bait tucked right behind the leaf worth while addition to your tackle I fish it with a plain luminous lead 25FBC461-C2EC-4D1D-80D8-60353D6046B0.jpegall taken on the bar rig Pennel set up all on top hook all around 1.1/2 lb biggest was 1.14 hope this helps

I find the bar rig a bit limiting, I did use them for a while, but for plaice and sole fishing it's 3 hook clip downs all the way. More hooks = more fish. Don't get me wrong I've seen how well the bar rig works, but for me you are stopping your chances of double or even triple shots of fish. Unless you can use multiple hooks on a bar rig?

Cheers to every body that taken the time to reply, I must admit I do like to have at least two hooks on a trace and I don't really fish venues where massive cast are a priority so maybe it's not for me

Cheers to every body that taken the time to reply, I must admit I do like to have at least two hooks on a trace and I don't really fish venues where massive cast are a priority so maybe it's not for me
Your probably better of with this rig , put different components on to suit 1632156032439.png

I find the bar rig a bit limiting, I did use them for a while, but for plaice and sole fishing it's 3 hook clip downs all the way. More hooks = more fish. Don't get me wrong I've seen how well the bar rig works, but for me you are stopping your chances of double or even triple shots of fish. Unless you can use multiple hooks on a bar rig?
You can always add a wishbone for an extra hook although you are going to increase the risk of tangles. Loop rig for me

Back