• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Braid shock leader

meirion658

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I use braid on all of my lure fishing reels and enjoy using it for that purpose.

All of my multi and and larger reels I use mono main line and 90% of the time tapered shock leaders.

I see a lot of posts/you tube videos of people starting to use braid as a shock leader.

Is this a growing trend and apart from the tiny knots what are are advantages and disadvantages of using braid as a shock leader?

I tried using carp dacron as a hook length.. it unraveled in the waves..🙄

I use braid on all of my lure fishing reels and enjoy using it for that purpose.

All of my multi and and larger reels I use mono main line and 90% of the time tapered shock leaders.

I see a lot of posts/you tube videos of people starting to use braid as a shock leader.

Is this a growing trend and apart from the tiny knots what are are advantages and disadvantages of using braid as a shock leader?
Like you when lure fishing I have braid as the mainline and go to either nylon or fluorocarbon as a leader.
When out with the beack rods on a fixed spool I also have braid, but akso a braid leader.
Yes it gives a small knot but also continues the lack of stretch in the set up.
No idea what mono with a braid leader achieves other than a potentially smaller knot? Dependant on ground maybe a bit more abrasion resistance in the rough stuff?

Like you when lure fishing I have braid as the mainline and go to either nylon or fluorocarbon as a leader.
When out with the beack rods on a fixed spool I also have braid, but akso a braid leader.
Yes it gives a small knot but also continues the lack of stretch in the set up.
No idea what mono with a braid leader achieves other than a potentially smaller knot? Dependant on ground maybe a bit more abrasion resistance in the rough stuff?
Agree with your setup on the lure rods, but after problems with wind knots with Braid on a Beach setup, I've stuck to Mono & a mono leader.
I have bought a spool of Braid to try on the Beach reels again but not spooled it up yet.

Have used braid as a leader since Moses was a lad. 40 lb braid main line and 70 lb braid leader. The exception are over rough ground when I use 30 lb mono and 60 lb mono leader. If just lobbing in I dont bother with a leader at all then .

In big tides, or areas with a strong current I use mono main line to absorb some of the tidal pull, and braid leader. I find the stretch in the Mono stops the lead being pulled out . I could leave a big bow in the line if using braid but I think that in that particular circumstance Mono mainline has the edge.

Recently I have been using low a dia 60 lb braid straight through and so far I am impressed , it is the same dia as 40 lb braid .

One thing that leader knots do is to catch weed and stop it travelling down your line to your end gear. No leader means that I have to tie in a stop knot on the heavy braid setup to do the same job as the leader knot.

Dave

Have used braid as a leader since Moses was a lad. 40 lb braid main line and 70 lb braid leader. The exception are over rough ground when I use 30 lb mono and 60 lb mono leader. If just lobbing in I dont bother with a leader at all then .

In big tides, or areas with a strong current I use mono main line to absorb some of the tidal pull, and braid leader. I find the stretch in the Mono stops the lead being pulled out . I could leave a big bow in the line if using braid but I think that in that particular circumstance Mono mainline has the edge.

Recently I have been using low a dia 60 lb braid straight through and so far I am impressed , it is the same dia as 40 lb braid .

One thing that leader knots do is to catch weed and stop it travelling down your line to your end gear. No leader means that I have to tie in a stop knot on the heavy braid setup to do the same job as the leader knot.

Dave
Feck me, Braid has been around since Moses was alive, Jesus.. 🤣

Ian.

Back