• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Braid.

Trampster

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As most of you know, I don't get out for a Dangle as often as I would like due to health problems - haven't been out yet this year due to the cold and over 2 weeks with no transport Jan/Feb.

Anyway, never had a lot of luck with Braid for Beach rods (wind knots & bird's nests) so ditched it - in fact I respooled it onto my Shimano 3000 & 4000 for lure fishing and it's been fine. Think it was KastKing 4 strand.

Summer is coming, different (Conti) rods & reels now, so thought I might get that spare spool and give it a go again. Also I've got a couple of Boat rods and L/W multipliers I might dig out, fettle up & respool with Braid just in case some kind soul invites me afloat this year!

Having read many threads on here, I never use more than 4oz leads from the shore so was thinking around 50Lb 8 strand right through. Officially an OAP in about 2 months, (!) bit skint, so any recommendations/links for a biggish spool of reasonable Braid would be appreciated.

Due to previous experience, Aliexpress and similar are off the radar from the get-go. TIA!

50lb braid is a good idea providing your not power casting, just dont over fill the reel. If i was you i would go for a decent 8 strand braid , 4 strand tends to be thicker .I use j-braid in 8 strand

Last edited:
Thanks Wolfie & Jackjock. I was thinking 8 strand. Was also thinking that I might need around 600m to spool 3 reels so if anybody sees any on offer, please chuck me a link. 👍👍

Thanks Wolfie & Jackjock. I was thinking 8 strand. Was also thinking that I might need around 600m to spool 3 reels so if anybody sees any on offer, please chuck me a link. 👍👍
1) I use a multiplier
2) I use Mono line
3) I don't purchase expensive rods (TFGear 11'6 2-5oz)
Suits me (y)

I use spiderwire on all my beach/rock/boat reels, never had a problem with it.
Not sure what size spools it comes on or prices nowadays. Last time I bought it was about 3 years ago at £20 for 300m.

I've got some cheap Chinese 30lb stuff on my spinning reel and that works well for me too, it is quite thick in comparison to other 30lb braids though, but then again it was around 1/3 of the price so to be expected.

Whatever you do, start out easy with the braid, don't go trying to hit the horizon on your first cast, build the power up over a good few casts and make sure you have got the feel for it and the braid has settled down on the reel.

I dont beachcast with braid Trampster, but will say JBraid8x & JBraid Grand has never let me down and seems to last very well. I like the multi coloured as it gives you an idea of distance cast or depth dropped (from a boat). Search and you'll find 500m spools on fleabay.
I've heard good things about the cheaper Saratoga 8 strand and have spooled some wrecking reels with it, but I can't yet give an opinion as its not had a lot of use as the weather rarely plays ball for getting far offshore here, more's the pity 😕

I use spiderwire on all my beach/rock/boat reels, never had a problem with it.
Not sure what size spools it comes on or prices nowadays. Last time I bought it was about 3 years ago at £20 for 300m.

I've got some cheap Chinese 30lb stuff on my spinning reel and that works well for me too, it is quite thick in comparison to other 30lb braids though, but then again it was around 1/3 of the price so to be expected.

Whatever you do, start out easy with the braid, don't go trying to hit the horizon on your first cast, build the power up over a good few casts and make sure you have got the feel for it and the braid has settled down on the reel.
Nice and expensive Craig, I use Diawa Sensor mono in jumbo spools it is half the price of braid and I get around 1000m per spool. ;)

I dont beachcast with braid Trampster, but will say JBraid8x & JBraid Grand has never let me down and seems to last very well. I like the multi coloured as it gives you an idea of distance cast or depth dropped (from a boat). Search and you'll find 500m spools on fleabay.
I've heard good things about the cheaper Saratoga 8 strand and have spooled some wrecking reels with it, but I can't yet give an opinion as its not had a lot of use as the weather rarely plays ball for getting far offshore here, more's the pity 😕
I did have a look on eBay but haven't committed to buy owt yet - think I'll wait for the spool. I also saw some Saratoga, and this 'Agepoch' stuff, either of which I thought would be OK for a Boat reel. Quality not so important if not casting with it I guess.

Nice and expensive Craig, I use Diawa Sensor mono in jumbo spools it is half the price of braid and I get around 1000m per spool. ;)
Each to their own. I used to love my bulk spools of mono til I swapped to braid, suffix titanium was my go to.
Since trying braid, I much prefer it over mono so won't be swapping back any time soon.

Must admit, that daiwa sensor stuff gets alot of good reviews, seems a great choice if your after mono.

I did have a look on eBay but haven't committed to buy owt yet - think I'll wait for the spool. I also saw some Saratoga, and this 'Agepoch' stuff, either of which I thought would be OK for a Boat reel. Quality not so important if not casting with it I guess.

That is the supplier I buy braid from. I use 30lb 8 strand with an 80lb 4 strand shock leader. I have had no issues with it. I think I have agepoch and saratoga

Had a look through and its the best I can see even though it’s 60lb it gives a bit of a safety margin. And for the price could be worth a go.

i have one beach reel that has braid on it 60 lbs braid 120 braid leader . i do not like the stuff but this casts ok 120- 150 mtrs :oops: ,lure rod was having trouble last year with good braid wind knots , tried swapping to mono then back to braid , well fed up with the stuff ,chatting at lure shop about what trouble i was having was told to try some cheep stuff he had fintech first braid super power it 4 ply and a bit stiffer and it cast well . 11£ 150 mtrs

i have one beach reel that has braid on it 60 lbs braid 120 braid leader . i do not like the stuff but this casts ok 120- 150 mtrs :oops: ,lure rod was having trouble last year with good braid wind knots , tried swapping to mono then back to braid , well fed up with the stuff ,chatting at lure shop about what trouble i was having was told to try some cheep stuff he had fintech first braid super power it 4 ply and a bit stiffer and it cast well . 11£ 150 mtrs
what was the make of reel you were using on your lure rod?

That is the supplier I buy braid from. I use 30lb 8 strand with an 80lb 4 strand shock leader. I have had no issues with it. I think I have agepoch and saratoga

I have tied FG knots to tie Braid to a mono leader, but if I try Braid, trying to avoid Knots. Only use up to 4oz leads with an OHT on the Conti rods, so was thinking 50Lb straight through.

What are your beach reels now?
Did you mean mine?

Did have a Grauvell vertix Dragon which I bought in a moment of madness after buying the 1st Vertix Conti rod. Reel turned out to be a pile of crap - the bail arm line roller screw came loose, so tightened it up wich locked the roller up solid, and can't find a way to cure it.
Meanwhile, couldn't get a Surfblaster during Covid so bought a Mitchell RZ Blue water 8000. Darn good reel for the money, and Mitchell & Penn are all owned by Pure fishing anyway. Nearly keeled over 3 week after when I spotted a surfbalster II 8000 on Gumtree locally for £30! Nearly bit the guy's arm off! 😍😍

Did you mean mine?

Did have a Grauvell vertix Dragon which I bought in a moment of madness after buying the 1st Vertix Conti rod. Reel turned out to be a pile of crap - the bail arm line roller screw came loose, so tightened it up wich locked the roller up solid, and can't find a way to cure it.
Meanwhile, couldn't get a Surfblaster during Covid so bought a Mitchell RZ Blue water 8000. Darn good reel for the money, and Mitchell & Penn are all owned by Pure fishing anyway. Nearly keeled over 3 week after when I spotted a surfbalster II 8000 on Gumtree locally for £30! Nearly bit the guy's arm off! 😍😍
Hopefully the Mitchell will have goid line lay, not read much about them. Imho the more I read the more I am convinced that a reel with poor line lay causes 99% of wind knots.
I have freshwater shimano reels that i have fished braid on for many a long year and never had a windknot. That set up I use on a couple of okuma 8k surfs, never had an issue either so hopefully it will work for you this time round.
I do have a shimano speedmaster with power pro in 66lb straight through but it is a four strand braid and my only concern would be 8 strands abrasion resistance straight to to the rig?
I have not done that with 8 strand so no experience others may have. Fishing beaches may be less of an issues than the rock marks I fish though.

Back