• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Breakaway impact shields

Pendeenpiscator

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I have used these many years ago, but always close to the lead. Would they work up the line to provide a sort of cascade rig without the cascade swivels? I've got the cascade swivels,but am not that confident using them, due to their size probably.

I personally would use cascade swivels.
The idea of clipping down is to streamline the rig.
Sticking on impact shields just adds bulk to the rig.
Yes they will work, but sort of defeats the object.

I personally would use cascade swivels.
The idea of clipping down is to streamline the rig.
Sticking on impact shields just adds bulk to the rig.
Yes they will work, but sort of defeats the object.
Totally agree,but as I said short answer is yes they would work which is what he was asking.

Breakaway themselves describe the use of an impact shield, impact lead or imp etc at the bottom of the rig as the "master release" for clipped down rigs, triggering the 'cascade release' of any other components up the rig. They publish(ed?) a rig book come product guide that should go on the list of essential reading for all beginners imo. Cascade swivels are remarkably strong for their size but Sakuma and others do sell a beefier model if required. I'd advise keeping it all as simple as possible with the bare minimum of components, knots etc to reduce any areas for potential weaknesses/ wind resistance/weed and snag catching and of course each rig then costs less in time and money to make and replace. No need to over complicate things - it's the bait the fish are interested in

Thanks for your help lads, my cascade swivels are pretty small,(probably my fault again not knowing sizes etc), anyway I will try them again, but the bait shields have such ancient eye's friendly hooks?‍?

Thanks for your help lads, my cascade swivels are pretty small,(probably my fault again not knowing sizes etc), anyway I will try them again, but the bait shields have such ancient eye's friendly hooks?‍?

Cascade swivels are only generally available in 2 sizes. Most are size 6, apart from Sakuma which are size 5.

However, quality does vary. As has been mentioned, the older Troxixpro cascades used to 'bend out', but the newer swivels are fine.

Interestingly, the term 'Cascade swivel' is a Breakaway trade mark, so other manufacturers call them by different names, as an example, Tronix call them 'Rolling swivel with clip', and Sakuma call them 'Swivel N Clip' ............

So your cascade swivels may seem small, but they are Ok for the job, as they are probably size 6

Back