• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Breakaway seat box conversion

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I have been using a sherpa to hoof the old beta box about but it was a bit of a faff at times, having to clip and unclip at either end of the session.

I thought the seat box conversion would be the solution. Purchased this week and fitted yesterday morning. Box re-arranged and ready for last nights session.

Gets to our park up location, sticks the box on my back and holy feck, what is this contraption of torture I have strapped to my back!
The lower back rest was digging in to my lower back and was very, very uncomfortable. I then remember reading about the issue but in all of my faffing about hadn't remembefed and hadn't tried it on at home.

The torture machine is still in the car do haven't looked for any solutions yet.
Have any of you had the same problem? If so what is the solution? Foam pipe lagging and zip ties?

I have seen all sorts of tricks to solve the problem Thrash - have a search on Youtube.
I would struggle with carrying mine on my back, so wouldn't bother with the conversion. My Shakey box rarely goes out, as I have a similar sized trolley that is fine on Piers & hard surfaces.
When I have taken the Shakey box out, it gets strapped on my sack trucks, which seem to cope with sand & shingle OK, and the sack truck uprights act as a backrest if I need one.

I have to agree thrash, they are extremely uncomfortable. My method is I have a Shakespeare seat box cushion that fits neatly in between the box and the back rest when it’s not being used but once the box ison my back I put the cushion in between the lower plastic back rest and my back.

8E7B8919-171A-4C4E-B631-42892720748B.png

I have seen all sorts of tricks to solve the problem Thrash - have a search on Youtube.
I would struggle with carrying mine on my back, so wouldn't bother with the conversion. My Shakey box rarely goes out, as I have a similar sized trolley that is fine on Piers & hard surfaces.
When I have taken the Shakey box out, it gets strapped on my sack trucks, which seem to cope with sand & shingle OK, and the sack truck uprights act as a backrest if I need one.
I do have a trolley can't remember what plan I had when I bought it. This mark would be a bit of a pest with it as it is a bit gittery in places, especially where we park.

I got a salt rucksack for beach and rock fishing , and I got a savage gear rucksack for my lure fishing , some places are a long walk so a rucksack is more comfortable and lighter
When I was sea fishing many moons ago my carrier was a karrimor rucksack, very comfy.

The answer is partially in the answer above about tightening the straps and partially about padding.
If you go to b n q you will see some flat black foam stuff with two round profiles on either side.
You simply get some duct tape and tape it on the straps and where it hits your lower back and bloody comfy it is too!.
My box can weigh 40lb if I am going for a long one in the summer and take plenty of fluids and its all about getting it tight high up on your back, if its bouncing as your walking its all wrong.

The answer is partially in the answer above about tightening the straps and partially about padding.
If you go to b n q you will see some flat black foam stuff with two round profiles on either side.
You simply get some duct tape and tape it on the straps and where it hits your lower back and bloody comfy it is too!.
My box can weigh 40lb if I am going for a long one in the summer and take plenty of fluids and its all about getting it tight high up on your back, if its bouncing as your walking its all wrong.
The straps were okay, it was just bottom support. I will the try noodle a try as my nearest B& Q is round in Carlisle. To be fair anything must be better than it is although the noodle is quite firm. I think I may have some bits of pipe lagging about too. Been racking my brain to think what waterproof foam we have about the place.

Back