• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Brief catch up

Flipper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
My thanks to @Tatunka joe for confirming the quality of Stuart Pike who runs Orca out of Beer, a cracking evening trip despite it being lumpy. We caught bream and the boys had a great time. Useful lesson on the importance of rigs too, Stuart’s rigs made of lighter fluoro caught all the bream, just the pout caught on my non fluoro rigs with various paraphernalia supposed to attract them🤦‍♂️

Rest of the east Devon break was disturbed by crap weather and an unhealthy obsession with trying to catch bass on a surface lure, sadly nothing of size could be tempted, still a few mackerel, scad, schoolies and even a gurnard helped pass the time on metals when using the light game gear.

After an aborted squid trip in Plymouth which was a blank, I was desperate to get out again and despite being awful tides and bright sunshine, I got out for a few hours yesterday. Whilst beautiful, the mark felt dead despite tons of baitfish in the margins. However, as the tide dropped and the light level dropped the fish turned up and it was carnage, birds, bait and fish everywhere. Interestingly, no matter what lure I used, surface, metal or hard subsurface, all they wanted was the 1 1/2in Fin S tail fork soft plastic I was using as a flier. They were so obsessed with the bait they wouldn’t look at anything else.

So no decent fish, but, valuable lessons learned, listen to the skipper, fluoro is useful and match the hatch.

07F30C4B-4999-488E-8F25-5FE523D1973C.jpeg

Nice one Flipper, sounds like you had a good trip out.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back