• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Building tackle up from scratch?

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Evening folks

Just starting up sea fishing (again, after a long break, after all my gear got nicked from my shed).
Coming from a coarse fishing background, so have a bit of kit I can use, mainly looking at what terminal tackle I might need to start up.

I have:
Beachcaster rod
Fixed spool reel with line (would like to upgrade to multiplier, one day...)
Rod rest
Brolly (looking at a possible shelter in the future)
Seat
Tackle box
Headtorch
Forceps and pliers
Sharp knife and chopping board
Decent waterproofs and clothing.
Rucksack
Bag for rubbish
Stove for brews & bacon butties

I (think I) need?
Weights
Swivels
Beads
Hooks
Some rigs tied (flapper to start with)
Bucket
Bait (my local shop has frozen Welsh lug and frozen squid)

Have I missed anything obvious???
Hoping to get to either NE (Yorkshire) or NW (Cumbria) coast over festive season.
New to forum but already had a lot of great advice, so anything would be appreciated.
Cheers :)

Just the one rod?

I've been a serious beach and boat angler for over 35 years.
Still not got enough stuff, and probably never will have.

Getting a bait on the sea bed with a hook hidden inside is critical. A lot of the other stuff is vanity.
If your fishing involves walking anywhere, just add lots of lightness.

I've been a serious beach and boat angler for over 35 years.
Still not got enough stuff, and probably never will have.

Getting a bait on the sea bed with a hook hidden inside is critical. A lot of the other stuff is vanity.
If your fishing involves walking anywhere, just add lots of lightness.
(y)One thing for certain, the fish don't mind the weight you have to hump!

On a more serious note, try and match your rigs to the ground you will be fishing.

Oh and this will keep you entertained at the very least.

stuff like this see update one!

soft wired grip leads.

etc, etc.

Last edited:
Got 2 entry level rods and reels.
Angling Direct bargains.
(Rods look ok, will hold on with the reel verdict just yet).
As you say, getting bait on a hook out there is key.
Still sussing out weights and rigs.
Thanks to everyone (y)

There is a great lad called Kevin on eBay that I've bought a few bits from - he's handy for beads, swivels, hooks & links if you're jsut starting out & want to make your own rigs. Plenty of info online & Youtube on different rigs. He used to list a rig building starting kit with most things you might need but it seems to be out of stock.

You will always to begin with take to much gear with you and a lot of the stuff you dont really need. My advice is just take the minimum you can get away with because if you have to walk any distance to a mark with a lot of weight in a box you,ll be half dead when you get there .

My bag has the minimum I've worked out I can get away with over the years.

Rig wallet with a good quantity of pre tied rigs.

Box (2l Tupperware I think) with a few packs of spare hooks, 4 leads (alot more if over really rough ground), bait elastic, spare head torch and batteries, mini scissors, compass.

Mini box (3x4 inches by 1 inch thick) has beads, lead clips, rig clips, bait clips and swivels.

Cut off 1l plastic bottle with my knife, t bar and pliers in it, also used to throw old rigs in for the way back so they don't get everything else wet.

Food and water.

Rods already have reels on them and are all strapped to the tripod for easy carrying over my shoulder.

Waterproofs are worn to the mark if not too hot or far, or rolled up and strapped to the top of my bag.

Bait goes in a small insulated bait bag and is stored inside my backpack and any unused layers are used as extra insulation around it to keep bait frozen for longer.

My bag has the minimum I've worked out I can get away with over the years.

Rig wallet with a good quantity of pre tied rigs.

Box (2l Tupperware I think) with a few packs of spare hooks, 4 leads (alot more if over really rough ground), bait elastic, spare head torch and batteries, mini scissors, compass.

Mini box (3x4 inches by 1 inch thick) has beads, lead clips, rig clips, bait clips and swivels.

Cut off 1l plastic bottle with my knife, t bar and pliers in it, also used to throw old rigs in for the way back so they don't get everything else wet.

Food and water.

Rods already have reels on them and are all strapped to the tripod for easy carrying over my shoulder.

Waterproofs are worn to the mark if not too hot or far, or rolled up and strapped to the top of my bag.

Bait goes in a small insulated bait bag and is stored inside my backpack and any unused layers are used as extra insulation around it to keep bait frozen for longer.
Thanks Craig, some top tips there (y)

There is a great lad called Kevin on eBay that I've bought a few bits from - he's handy for beads, swivels, hooks & links if you're jsut starting out & want to make your own rigs. Plenty of info online & Youtube on different rigs. He used to list a rig building starting kit with most things you might need but it seems to be out of stock.

Thanks Trampster, I have dropped him a line (y)

A spool of shock leader is a must aswell just incase you snap off and need a new one to keep fishing.
A spool of line for hook lengths is also a good idea, especially if it's one of the little ones like amnesia or similar size spool.

Back