• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

calculating line on spool

barryS

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
HI All my first post

I have just bought a large capacity spool fixed spool reel which claims to hold 0.35/560metres for my beachcaster

I have also bought 300 metres of braid rated at 60llb

I will use 15lb mono as backing which is going to take up the majority of the spool...........but cant work out when to put the braid on to fill the spool correctly.

I suppose I could use two reels.......but I've only got one of that size. Perhaps I could go for a long walk with the line :)

HI All my first post

I have just bought a large capacity spool fixed spool reel which claims to hold 0.35/560metres for my beachcaster

I have also bought 300 metres of braid rated at 60llb

I will use 15lb mono as backing which is going to take up the majority of the spool...........but cant work out when to put the braid on to fill the spool correctly.

I suppose I could use two reels.......but I've only got one of that size. Perhaps I could go for a long walk with the line :)

Welcome to the Madhouse Barry! I think you will be a bit stuck without a spare spool - normally, the best way is to put your Braid on the spool and fill it up with backing, and then 'reverse' it onto another spool.
Somebody might be along with other ideas - I don't use Braid for beach fishing so haven't had that issue. 👍👍

put your braid on first, then your backing to your preferred finish level. Tie to a tree, then walk until it all comes off. Then fit your backing on and wind in.
If you’ve got a drill, you can use an old spool, but to be honest, it’s a lot more faff to setup.

I've made a line winder/loader to take away these headaches and make it a one man job!

Ideally you want spare spool/s for the intended reel or empty reels of sufficient capacity to accommodate backing and the braid mainline. If not then you can improvise with an electric drill and a bulk line spool mounted on a bit of dowel/ threaded bar etc. You could take it onto an empty field or beach to reverse it all but that could be problematic if you get a stray person/dog/ gust of wind etc crossing you! A pair of sticks 6ft apart are another option, look up the carp channels to see how they measure distances in 'wraps', but again that's going to be laborious and time consuming.

However you do it remember to wind it all on under sufficient tension - I use a water soaked bar towel to trap the line above the reel to provide enough tension whilst keeping friction/heat to a minimum. Good luck 👍

I was going to mention the cordless drill trick too!
I made up some spools with dowel, and the tubes that kitchen foil comes on, and cardboard ends.
The only thing is that Barry would need to run the line (after adding the backing) off his reel onto a spool, and then run it onto another spool to get it the right way around to run back on his reel.

You're right Trampster, that or split the backing from the mainline on to 2 seperate spools and re tie once the backing is on the chosen reel

Just run it on the reel straight on.. with a biro to slow it down..🙄

Back