• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Car sharing and being tied down

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
@X525 ’s comments about his recent trip and ‘when you’ve had enough, you’re done’, set me to thinking.

Usually I’ll fish a session for the planned six hours or whatever, depending on tides etc, but sometimes, as he said, you just don’t feel it and decide to pack up early.

That’s why I usually insist fishing buddies drive themselves and meet me there as if I’ve had enough, I want to be gone.

Or sometimes it’s the other way around and they want to go early but I want to stay.
The worst ones are the ones you plan a trip with for a week and then after you’ve been fishing for an hour they shuffle over and say ‘oh I promised the mrs I’d be home by 8 (three hours from now) as we’re going to Great Aunt Dorothy’s in the morning’

🤦🏻‍♂️ Ffs. Why not say that WHEN we’re planning the trip and we could have driven separately? 🙄

I absolutely HATE being tied to someone else’s timetable. Whether it’s work or family stuff or fishing, I want to come and go as I wish, always been the same.

Obviously work most of us don’t have much choice, but fishing trips I can control, so on the rare times I car share now, I’ll make it absolutely clear at the outset that I plan to fish until midnight or whatever.
Most of the time we’re in perfect agreement, but on the occasions when someone henpecked does bring up their Aunt Mathilda visit and a 9pm finish, I say that’s fine, meet me there.
Funnily enough, then they agonise over it and can’t seem to compute that just because you fish together, doesn’t mean you HAVE to arrive and depart at the same time.

It’s another reason why more often than not I prefer to fish alone!

If I want to fish I really can’t be bothered with other people.. I want to be on my own.
I’m like that a lot of the time. I’m happy to buddy up on occasion but I must admit I probably get most satisfaction on solo trips.
Have had plenty of good trips with mates as well though.

I don't drive so I'm reliant on a lift from others and to be honest I like a bit of company when I'm fishing.
Fair play if you don’t drive but I can certainly take it or leave it.

Not that I don’t enjoy trips with others but it’s not a requirement for me by any means.

I quite like being out in the night on my own with no one for miles 🤗

Not that I don’t enjoy trips with others but it’s not a requirement for me by any means.

Guess I'm strange, when it comes to shooting I prefer to go by myself. Don't get me wrong I will happily go fishing by myself but only if I'm over at our house on the west coast.

Guess I'm strange, when it comes to shooting I prefer to go by myself. Don't get me wrong I will happily go fishing by myself but only if I'm over at our house on the west coast.
I think lots of people prefer company tbh.

One of my mates doesn’t usually go at all unless he can buddy up.

I don’t think it’s for any particular reason except he likes the company.

@X525 ’s comments about his recent trip and ‘when you’ve had enough, you’re done’, set me to thinking.

Usually I’ll fish a session for the planned six hours or whatever, depending on tides etc, but sometimes, as he said, you just don’t feel it and decide to pack up early.

That’s why I usually insist fishing buddies drive themselves and meet me there as if I’ve had enough, I want to be gone.

Or sometimes it’s the other way around and they want to go early but I want to stay.
The worst ones are the ones you plan a trip with for a week and then after you’ve been fishing for an hour they shuffle over and say ‘oh I promised the mrs I’d be home by 8 (three hours from now) as we’re going to Great Aunt Dorothy’s in the morning’

🤦🏻‍♂️ Ffs. Why not say that WHEN we’re planning the trip and we could have driven separately? 🙄

I absolutely HATE being tied to someone else’s timetable. Whether it’s work or family stuff or fishing, I want to come and go as I wish, always been the same.

Obviously work most of us don’t have much choice, but fishing trips I can control, so on the rare times I car share now, I’ll make it absolutely clear at the outset that I plan to fish until midnight or whatever.
Most of the time we’re in perfect agreement, but on the occasions when someone henpecked does bring up their Aunt Mathilda visit and a 9pm finish, I say that’s fine, meet me there.
Funnily enough, then they agonise over it and can’t seem to compute that just because you fish together, doesn’t mean you HAVE to arrive and depart at the same time.

Thought you was ok though with the being tied up bit?

Since my Dad died back in 2008 I have pretty much fished alone … the wife did come once but then got fed up sitting on the beach so went and sat in the car,

When I did go out out with my dad sometimes it would be non stop chatting and other times … silence apart from a few exchanges and that was just fine as well

Last edited:
I enjoy company when fishing. I often see John from TSF, but wouldn't have met a few other forum members & nice folk if we hadn't been fishing as a group - meeting @bananas & @dodders plus a few others has made a good session great.

Having said that, like @Mr Fish, I prefer to travel on my own.
As he says, you can turn up when you like & go home when you like.
Plus with my bad chest, I can stroll back from a mark to the car at my own pace without holding anybody else up, although John has worried about me and come to my rescue a couple of times!
There is also the slight Covid thing - much better travelling on your own to avoid spreading any nasties!
And I get enough of Wifey nagging & being a "back seat driver in the front", so much prefer to be on my own! 😁😁

Well said mate

That heightened sense feeling and the total immersion vibe is missing for me with company. Not a problem when your fishing marks like the Mersey where you fish from your car under streetlights but on an empty un lit beach........

Fully agree mate
Prefer me own company anyway when fishin,
Good to have a couple of people I know who do the same fkin retarded fishin shifts as I do, I’ve got 1 who does not know when to give up
If we decide we are doing 6pm through to 6-7 am, and the fishing’s wank , I will give it a good 5-6 hrs , then just tell him , the vans unlocked, I’m leaving about whatever time and to carry on as he wishes, as I will be asleep in the back
Many many times he’s arrived back at the van after doing an extra 5-6 hrs without a fkin touch “ fkin dickhead”
Then the Cnut falls asleep all the bastard way home
Unsociable knob 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah but you don't mind being tied up do you? ( just thinking back to that video you starred in; " Caged and Hot"). An under the counter classic!

If that was my mrs, there’s not a fkin chance I’d be out fishin !!
Either I’d be hammering at her night n day , or not be leaving the house in case someone else was 🤣🤣
Actually my Mrs is 28 years younger than me and prettier than the pic you have posted but would kill me if I posted a pic of her 😉

Last edited:
I prefer to fish on my own(I don't drive) when I do go with someone who drives we agree a pack up time

Back