• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Casting

Tatunka joe

Reaction score
So the other day I popped along to our club casting event nothing serious just haveing a mess about in a field couple of interesting things Most noteworthy was that our top caster who has a Court record of 293 yards so seriously skilled trued casting a 3 hook clip down loaded with jelly worms to emulate true life fishing and dropped 40 yards off his cast so just goes to show how much us morals must be dropping when casting bait oh and I hit 145 yards with my otg cast the instructor said I chould add another 10 yards cause of the cross wind and High pressure we had in the day he orso tried helping more technique and altho my casts become a lot cleaner I still chouldnt beat 145 with all 6 casts landing in the same spot However hard I hit it every one landed at 145 well at least I’m consistent any ideas Wots going on and yes I do have more than 145 yards on my reel lol

So the other day I popped along to our club casting event nothing serious just haveing a mess about in a field couple of interesting things Most noteworthy was that our top caster who has a Court record of 293 yards so seriously skilled trued casting a 3 hook clip down loaded with jelly worms to emulate true life fishing and dropped 40 yards off his cast so just goes to show how much us morals must be dropping when casting bait oh and I hit 145 yards with my otg cast the instructor said I chould add another 10 yards cause of the cross wind and High pressure we had in the day he orso tried helping more technique and altho my casts become a lot cleaner I still chouldnt beat 145 with all 6 casts landing in the same spot However hard I hit it every one landed at 145 well at least I’m consistent any ideas Wots going on and yes I do have more than 145 yards on my reel lol
Maybe that is your max for an OTG cast with the rod, reel and line you were using?

What reel and what rod were you using?
Shimano power areo with 30 lb braid and a 80 lb braid leader the rods are afaw gbfs wondering if the gbs don’t compress enough with the otg cast recon on a t700 it whould fly ?

I think that rod/reel should go 200 yards OTG.
The fact that you are consistently hitting the same distance suggests it's a technique problem.
When I began hitting bigger distances, 204 yards is my PB, it was because I realised that my left arm was the key.
A really hard pull down as I punched up with my right gave me significantly more distance.
Time it right and the lead flies.

Shimano power areo with 30 lb braid and a 80 lb braid leader the rods are afaw gbfs wondering if the gbs don’t compress enough with the otg cast recon on a t700 it whould fly ?
Just wondering what weight lead you were using Tat? The AFAW gbfs needs a fair bit of compression and a slower build up to really load the rod and works well with a 7oz weight and big baits. 145 yards on the field is an impressive cast but I bet you can cast much further with a softer rod or by using heavier weights. Even an OTG cast with that rod should have a 200yd potential.

Just wondering what weight lead you were using Tat? The AFAW gbfs needs a fair bit of compression and a slower build up to really load the rod and works well with a 7oz weight and big baits. 145 yards on the field is an impressive cast but I bet you can cast much further with a softer rod or by using heavier weights. Even an OTG cast with that rod should have a 200yd potential.
6 oz is pucker on that rod I know that cause the guy who owns the company was there and told me ???

I think that rod/reel should go 200 yards OTG.
The fact that you are consistently hitting the same distance suggests it's a technique problem.
When I began hitting bigger distances, 204 yards is my PB, it was because I realised that my left arm was the key.
A really hard pull down as I punched up with my right gave me significantly more distance.
Time it right and the lead flies.
Yep more practice and refine the technique it’s good to know I can get the bait to the fish 80 to a 100 yards is all that’s needed down here really but if I can hit hit the 140 off the beach that will put me on the rays and big flats on chisel that’s my aim

with a little help you will improve , timing on when to do the push pull which gives you a full ark of the lead , i think is the key - when they tell you hit it , you rush try to put power in too soon / they have not told you what you meant to do , thats my 2 pence worth:unsure:

Well done mate , 145 yards every cast excellent
Agreed!!! Might just do that myself with an offshore gale!!!! Lol best cast I saw was from a small pensioner aged bloke I used to fish with, his technique was amazing! Blasted a rig on a pendulum cast god knows how far,beat blokes younger and bigger than him by miles!

Agreed!!! Might just do that myself with an offshore gale!!!! Lol best cast I saw was from a small pensioner aged bloke I used to fish with, his technique was amazing! Blasted a rig on a pendulum cast god knows how far,beat blokes younger and bigger than him by miles!
Yes I struggle now as I got older I have lost upper body strength

Back