• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Chesil 28.7.22

dodders

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Had a trip to Chesil yesterday so set off early to avoid the traffic and picked up some pre-ordered rag from Chesil Bait and Tackle at 0830
Parked up in the Ferrybridge car park and the machine would only give a ticket for 10 hrs ie till 7pm which was no use to me and I wasn’t going to walk back to get a top-up!
Much as I had phone apps I was saved by the ‘just park’ app which let me book till 0200 which was easily enough for me
Trudged up the hill to find a large gathering of tinsel tossers. Why do they all pack together? Anyway I walked a mile in the direction of the bridging camp (just measured it ) to absolutely make sure none of them would come anywhere near me and spoil the day.
Knackered when I got there but great to be back at Chesil

Set up two rods, my usual rod with multiplier baited with mixture of sandeel, squid and hermit and my brand new conti rod and fixed spool reel. Fished a two up one down flapper with size 1 hooks and a mixture of rag, squid and frozen black.
Weed was an annoyance and every chuck had weed on it taking a few minutes to clear. Early on caught my target, a nice black bream on the conti on rag. The bites were superb as was the feel of playing a fish on the lighter rod.
tempImageZx0LMs.png

Near low water I had a single 4” tap on the tip which didn’t develop. On retrieving there was the usual mass of weed jammed on the leader knot/tip ring so I had to hand line in the lump of weed around my rig. However, there was a codling amongst it – well chuffed!

Ended up with 6 bream, codling, mackerel and a strap (the only fish on my other rod)
tempImageczf61k.png

The walk back was horrific, the drive home full of detours adding about an hour in total, and I can hardly walk today. I’ve decided I can’t do early morning to 2am trips anymore , just mornings/afternoon or evening into the night in the future.

Nice one Dodders. Agree with you about the early hours trips.
I usually lose interest by 11pm or whatever but end up staying too late and don’t enjoy the last few hours, or fish as effectively.

I’d rather target a specific window now although obviously the length of the journey and the grockle traffic is a downer.

Nice report & photos Mick! Long old drive (and hike) for you but sounds like you had a good session. ?? (y) (y)

What Conti rod have you bought? #Curious!

Nice one dodders sounds like the same as my plan today unlike fish I love long seshs at chisel it’s definitely an hrs game up there when you say detours were they arfter honiton or before?????

Had a trip to Chesil yesterday so set off early to avoid the traffic and picked up some pre-ordered rag from Chesil Bait and Tackle at 0830
Parked up in the Ferrybridge car park and the machine would only give a ticket for 10 hrs ie till 7pm which was no use to me and I wasn’t going to walk back to get a top-up!
Much as I had phone apps I was saved by the ‘just park’ app which let me book till 0200 which was easily enough for me
Trudged up the hill to find a large gathering of tinsel tossers. Why do they all pack together? Anyway I walked a mile in the direction of the bridging camp (just measured it ) to absolutely make sure none of them would come anywhere near me and spoil the day.
Knackered when I got there but great to be back at Chesil

Set up two rods, my usual rod with multiplier baited with mixture of sandeel, squid and hermit and my brand new conti rod and fixed spool reel. Fished a two up one down flapper with size 1 hooks and a mixture of rag, squid and frozen black.
Weed was an annoyance and every chuck had weed on it taking a few minutes to clear. Early on caught my target, a nice black bream on the conti on rag. The bites were superb as was the feel of playing a fish on the lighter rod.
View attachment 29987

Near low water I had a single 4” tap on the tip which didn’t develop. On retrieving there was the usual mass of weed jammed on the leader knot/tip ring so I had to hand line in the lump of weed around my rig. However, there was a codling amongst it – well chuffed!

Ended up with 6 bream, codling, mackerel and a strap (the only fish on my other rod)
View attachment 29988

The walk back was horrific, the drive home full of detours adding about an hour in total, and I can hardly walk today. I’ve decided I can’t do early morning to 2am trips anymore , just mornings/afternoon or evening into the night in the future.
Well done mick , a long drive a long walk , was it worth it , of course

Nice one dodders sounds like the same as my plan today unlike fish I love long seshs at chisel it’s definitely an hrs game up there when you say detours were they arfter honiton or before?????
The road was closed at Abbotsbury 8pm to 6am till tonight I think but then it's going to be closed overnight further on at Portesham so no good for Ferrybridge end. But for me the worst was the A38 closed at the end of the M5 so I had to go all around Newton Abbot before rejoining the A38

Last edited:
Nice report & photos Mick! Long old drive (and hike) for you but sounds like you had a good session. ?? (y) (y)

What Conti rod have you bought? #Curious!
Bought a Daiwa tournament hybrid tip, casts 3-6oz. It was very discounted on Uttings but I bought it from Veals who price matched it but were a bit pissed off with how cheap Uttings were selling it for! Had a look last night as I want a second but they've put the price up again by about £60. Casts superbly (I was using 12lb mono with a 50lb tapered shock leader ) and when I managed a couple of bream without weed the fight was superb.

Nice one Dodders. Agree with you about the early hours trips.
I usually lose interest by 11pm or whatever but end up staying too late and don’t enjoy the last few hours, or fish as effectively.

I’d rather target a specific window now although obviously the length of the journey and the grockle traffic is a downer.
Totally agree, Especially in the summer my first decision is avoiding the traffic. It takes me 2 hrs 20 to get to ferrybridge, so I want to get there before 0900. My other option is to leave home about 6pm and get there about 8.20. Anything in-between is likely to be a pain in the arse. Because its a good drive and the cost of fuel I tend to try to make the most of it and go early and come back late which would have been ok if I hadn't walked so bloody far! The other problem with going for so long in the summer is I will carry almost a gallon of water!

The road was closed at Abbotsbury 8pm to 6am till tonight I think but then it's going to be closed overnight further on at Portesham so no good for Ferrybridge end. But for me the worst was the A38 closed at the end of the M5 so I had to go all around Newton Abbot before rejoining the A38
I agree with you mick about the A38 it’s a right pain closing it at Exeter and going through NA , adds about 30 minutes I recon

I agree with you mick about the A38 it’s a right pain closing it at Exeter and going through NA , adds about 30 minutes I recon
I seem to remember Mick is a little bit West across the Tamar, so I'd be tempted to go A30 from Exeter and either drop in South from Sourton cross or Launceston.

That’s much further Dave I think
Not sure, and I can't be arsed to go googling & check. I know that if there was problems on the A38, our trucks based at Roborough used to go via Tavistock to Sourton Cross and then A30 to Exeter to join the M5.

Back