• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Chesil beach

Clementinepie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all. Thinking about making a trip west to fish Chesil next week, but have never been there before and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Not really setting out with any target species in mind, more just a case of wanting to see the beach for myself and give myself a chance of something half decent. Seen that reports are at an absolute minimum but figured someone must know something about what’s being caught!? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Go to your local watering hole ;):ROFLMAO:

I prefer bigger tides, with a north easterly wind and an evening high. Calm clear water, main targets being plaice and sole. Other species include tub Gurnard, hounds, dabs, red mullet, dogs, pout, whiting, codling and congers. The ability to consistently put a 3 hook clip down over 100 yards, will see you out in the tide. A conti rod with pop ups fished around 30 yards out can produce bass, mackerel, scad, gars, tubs and mullet. You might pick up the odd Ray but dirty water and earlier or later in the year is better for them. Bait wise worm of any variety and mackerel for pop up bait.

I prefer bigger tides, with a north easterly wind and an evening high. Calm clear water, main targets being plaice and sole. Other species include tub Gurnard, hounds, dabs, red mullet, dogs, pout, whiting, codling and congers. The ability to consistently put a 3 hook clip down over 100 yards, will see you out in the tide. A conti rod with pop ups fished around 30 yards out can produce bass, mackerel, scad, gars, tubs and mullet. You might pick up the odd Ray but dirty water and earlier or later in the year is better for them. Bait wise worm of any variety and mackerel for pop up bait.
Best over sand for plaice, dabs etc & sole after dark. Works for me.(y)

Thanks for the replies lads.

Will use the info to the best of my ability in the next week or so. Hoping for a bit more colour and chop to catch a codling as they have all but disappeared from my local beaches over the last few years! Will report back as and when I make the journey west.

Back