• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Chesil

chesilpete

Reaction score
Its been a while but after a period of hibernation Tom and I decided that we would have a go down at Bexi.
It was as much a shake down session as anything else and as far as that went it was perfect.
So Mcdonalds brekkies, abbo for some fresh black and the last day of winter rate parking all went perfectly to plan.
We walked down the beach in sunshine and picked a pitch.
Rods n reels out find some rigs and send tjem out there all went well.
The beach has changed dramatically we found some nice clay features at range which we will revisit later this month.
The fishing was what you would expect, straps, whiting and dogs.
The sea was too coloured for flats, on this occassion it did not matter, sun was out, tea got drunk, we sorted out our boxes and chilled out and Ted enjoyed dogfish retrieval if any were silly enough to swim back.
It wont be long before we are back at it.
It seems its a funny year, not many plaice at Brighton means we have not started as early as normal hopefully the flats will show on Chesil soon.
IMG-20240331-WA0007.jpeg

Nice report, good to be out!
Question… how do you “feel” the clay? Is it more effort to break out? Or does it drag more on retrieve?
Put a wired lead uptide put a bow in leave it for five mins...... you will.know when your on clay it can be a job to get it out.
I can only really comment on Chesil but the flats seem to hunt marine worm on the clay although some days they will be equally across the shingle.
Its just nice to fish to a feature and work it out from there.

Put a wired lead uptide put a bow in leave it for five mins...... you will.know when your on clay it can be a job to get it out.
I can only really comment on Chesil but the flats seem to hunt marine worm on the clay although some days they will be equally across the shingle.

About time you ventured forth! You’re right about the flats Pete, but the main reason (at least on my account) is lack of suitable weather down this way. Sea has not had chance to clear due to all the gales and rain, so haven’t had the inclination to give it a go. I’m sure if we get 3 or 4 days of decent weather, there’ll be a few spotties about. Cheers,Bob.

Nice report & photo Pete! I see Ted was on form! Well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

Nice one Pete cogden has taken a hammering this year chouldnt find the clay on usal mark few weeks ago but shall try again shortly once this weather dirts it’s shit out my mate had a nice plaice in our comp at budleigh on Saturday water was chocolate in colour and nasty side wind he must have put it right on its nose 🤣🤣🤣whould have gone nearly 2 lb if fat but lean fish due to spawning recon it’s gonna be a good year if this weather sorts it’s shit out hounds are in early few rays starting to show last year was pretty shit for flats and alike up there but weather was dig shite fingers crossed on a better one this season well done beys 👍👍👍👍

Great report Pete. Bet you and Tom were pleased to be out again. And your wingman Ted is looking good. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Appreciate that, thanks for the sharing

Top bombing Pedro.
Shout next time you are out. Need to be on the beach for the hounds
Too late, Pete's got a hound, called Ted... 🤣

Ian.

Back