• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Choosing a beach shelter.

Rat catcher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi, has anyone got any recommendations for a beach shelter, always had a umbrella for eas of use but could do with something a bit more sturdy. Thanks.

There are a few things to consider.
If two people use the shelter, a brolly has more room.
If you are constantly on the move, a brolly is easier to set up.

Weight: shelters weight more than a brolly.

If the above is not applicable, there really only two to choose from. The original beach buddy or the Ian gold's igloo.
Of the two, the igloo is marginally easier to put up but in my opinion, the beach buddy is the more robust.
For my money, having used cheaper versions, igloo and beach buddy, the beach buddy is the best you can buy.

I use an igloo fantastic bit of kit stands up to the worst of the weather and is a easy to put up only gripes is that it’s not the lightest and has slot of working parts that eventually go wrong ? had a salt XLbefore that and tbh it was great really light aswell I know peeps who have had the buddy for year s and they seem to be bomb proof those 3 whould be the way I’d go mate

I've had an IMAX one for years now (the old grey and orange one) great shelter but it wasn't too waterproof after a few years of regular use, doesn't bother me alot as the water still runs off. It's light and easy to setup/pack away. Not sure what the newer ones are like though.

I've had an IMAX one for years now (the old grey and orange one) great shelter but it wasn't too waterproof after a few years of regular use, doesn't bother me alot as the water still runs off. It's light and easy to setup/pack away. Not sure what the newer ones are like though.
Give it a coat of fabsil, should reproof it.

Cheers for the idea, I've got a tin somewhere, not tried it on the shelter yet as it didn't do alot of good on a jacket I tried it on.

Try Spraying it with waterproofing, should last you at least a couple of years before having to do it again.

There are a few things to consider.
If two people use the shelter, a brolly has more room.
If you are constantly on the move, a brolly is easier to set up.

Weight: shelters weight more than a brolly.

If the above is not applicable, there really only two to choose from. The original beach buddy or the Ian gold's igloo.
Of the two, the igloo is marginally easier to put up but in my opinion, the beach buddy is the more robust.
For my money, having used cheaper versions, igloo and beach buddy, the beach buddy is the best you can buy.
Thanks for the help, I was thinking along the lines of the beach buddy or igloo, more towards the buddy I think.

I use an igloo fantastic bit of kit stands up to the worst of the weather and is a easy to put up only gripes is that it’s not the lightest and has slot of working parts that eventually go wrong ? had a salt XLbefore that and tbh it was great really light aswell I know peeps who have had the buddy for year s and they seem to be bomb proof those 3 whould be the way I’d go mate
Thanks for the reply mate, going to have a good look at the options.

Back