• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Christmas book!

Draycote on a sunny calm day ?
No mate, not even near! @flappy was correct when he said Anglian water but when I said the clue was in the boat, I really did mean 'in the boat' as Bob was wearing a lifejacket provided by the venue with it's postcode painted on in big letters. Admittedly, you can only see the NN start but it was a big clue.

It was Ravensthorpe. :D

No mate, not even near! @flappy was correct when he said Anglian water but when I said the clue was in the boat, I really did mean 'in the boat' as Bob was wearing a lifejacket provided by the venue with it's postcode painted on in big letters. Admittedly, you can only see the NN start but it was a big clue.

That was my next guess.. probably the only other one left…!!🙄

Nice I was just going through some of the limited waters I've fished, not fished many big reservoirs, I've always been more of a running water man 👍

Nice I was just going through some of the limited waters I've fished, not fished many big reservoirs, I've always been more of a running water man 👍
I much prefer rivers myself but Ravensthorpe is fairly small and intimate at just 45ha (compared to somewhere like Draycote at 243ha or Rutland at a massive 1,333ha) but more importantly as his health deteriorated, it was fairly close to where Bob used to live.

I much prefer rivers myself but Ravensthorpe is fairly small and intimate at just 45ha (compared to somewhere like Draycote at 243ha or Rutland at a massive 1,333ha) but more importantly as his health deteriorated, it was fairly close to where Bob used to live.
I fished at Rutland a few years ago in a boat, if you manage to find some trout don't move as most of them are shoaling around the area you are fishing. Anywhere else on the water it's a blankety blank.

I fished at Rutland a few years ago in a boat, if you manage to find some trout don't move as most of them are shoaling around the area you are fishing. Anywhere else on the water it's a blankety blank.
I get what you are saying, as many of the fish do tend to shoal quite tightly but there are multiple areas around the reservoir where they do this. The wind and water depth is key to finding fish at Rutland, but there are lots of areas that may not provide many fish but do hold some really big fish. The lodge will always offer some excellent advice on where to fish but local knowledge and experience is essential on such a big water.

I get what you are saying, as many of the fish do tend to shoal quite tightly but there are multiple areas around the reservoir where they do this. The wind and water depth is key to finding fish at Rutland, but there are lots of areas that may not provide many fish but do hold some really big fish. The lodge will always offer some excellent advice on where to fish but local knowledge and experience is essential on such a big water.
I used to prefer Hanningfield reservoir for fly fishing as it was closer before they went to any method which ruined it. Not sure about Rutland nowadays. Bewl Water has gone the same as Hanningfield, hence why I went back to sea fishing off the beach.

I used to prefer Hanningfield reservoir for fly fishing as it was closer before they went to any method which ruined it. Not sure about Rutland nowadays. Bewl Water has gone the same as Hanningfield, hence why I went back to sea fishing off the beach.
I'm with you on any method. Thankfully none of the local waters have followed that route and are strictly fly only, apart from a couple that allow limited access pike fishing with large lures during the winter, when fly fishing has stopped anyway.

I'm with you on any method. Thankfully none of the local waters have followed that route and are strictly fly only, apart from a couple that allow limited access pike fishing with large lures during the winter, when fly fishing has stopped anyway.
Lake Vynwy is the only larger water that i ever venture to now, its a beautiful brown trout fishery, well worth a visit (y)

Back