• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

CIRCLE HOOKS

jackjock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Any one tried circle hooks on a pennel rig . This winter ive been using a standard hook on the bottom and a circle on the top and have had a lot of success with the circle hook catching most of the fish in the scissors . The rig posted is my version of the bagnell bar rig but made out of mono

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    781.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 44
Any one tried circle hooks on a pennel rig . This winter ive been using a standard hook on the bottom and a circle on the top and have had a lot of success with the circle hook catching most of the fish in the scissors . The rig posted is my version of the bagnell bar rig but made out of mono
yes tried the one in you photo worked well on pennel or single hook this year seem very good for rays , the full circle did not like the hook up rate.

Yes I normally use a circle as the top hook on a pennel arrangement unless ray fishing but have heard off a few people that it also works good for those as well, so I may just have to trial it on the rays when I next get around to fishing for them.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I use the same rig copied off my mentor known as the master iii

I have been using them a while, works well for rays, huss and other sharky species. Circles are much less effective for something like bass vs J's.

Hiya JJ,
Been using circles & chinu's as the top hook on my pennels for a couple of years now.
Was'nt to sure how well they'd work at 1st but now much prefer these to a normal J hook for the top hook.
Rick?

Hiya JJ,
Been using circles & chinu's as the top hook on my pennels for a couple of years now.
Was'nt to sure how well they'd work at 1st but now much prefer these to a normal J hook for the top hook.
Rick?
Hi Rick i wonderd where all the members on the other forum had gone, now i know;)?

Hi Rick i wonderd where all the members on the other forum had gone, now i know;)?

Hiya JJ,
LOL.
Tbh mate i've not been on either forum much recently, been mad busy at work & as i'm 30 miles or so from the coast not able/allowed to get out & wet a line (though from talking to the lads from Blackpool i normally fish with a lot of folk are still travelling to fish).
Tight lines mate.
Rick?

I like Chinu and semi circles.
I did win a pack of 5/0 full circles and have put them on spur/eel wire rigs... Unfortunately we have not had the spurs show this year in any numbers, so they are still sat on the rigs unused ☹️

I did try a different pattern of full circle... Very In-turned point.... And while I did catch rays, I missed a few fish as well... So not convinced on those.

Last edited:
I use a circle as the top hook on my gilt (worm) pennells. I tried them for conger but dropped a lot of fish till I realised why. Conger don't always turn and swim off with the bait like other fish. They back away so the circle, particularly an inline one, never gets the chance to set in the corner of the jaw. Tried a single circle behind a spoon for plaice, but if they swallow the hook it's almost impossible to get it out without killing the fish. Ordinary J hooks are easy. PH

I have been using them a while, works well for rays, huss and other sharky species. Circles are much less effective for something like bass vs J's.
Funny you say that as my bass hook up rate has increased 10 fold using a circle as the top pennell hook.
Strange ?

Funny you say that as my bass hook up rate has increased 10 fold using a circle as the top pennell hook.
Strange ?

Are you sure the bass stocks weren't just better? It's one of those things that probably need a multi-varied analysis to give a clear indication. I have been on the pier with 3 of us on j's and one on circles, there was one person who had a tiny catch volume vs the other 3, wasn't connecting (talking schoolies mostly). I think circles are much kinder and great for some species but, I trust them on bass about as much as I trust Joe Biden to remember his last sentence. :)
Are you fishing two rods in a tripod? or one rod in hand when bassing? As that may be where the secret lies.

I think where people have problems with hooking up on circles is the way they were designed to work. The idea is that you give line, allow the fish to turn and swim away and then tighten, snagging the fish in the corner of the jaw.
Striking quickly, or using rigs which do not allow the fish to turn and swim with the bait could result in missed takes.
Incidentally, only inline circles are really safe, as circles with the point turned out to the side are just as likely to gut-hook fish as J hooks but are much harder to remove when this happens. Mustad Perfect Circles are very good. PH

I like Chinu and semi circles.
I did win a pack of 5/0 full circles and have put them on spur/eel wire rigs... Unfortunately we have not had the spurs show this year in any numbers, so they are still sat on the rigs unused ☹️

I did try a different pattern of full circle... Very In-turned point.... And while I did catch rays, I missed a few fish as well... So not convinced on those.
I'm not sure circles are the best choice for eels. Quite often they back away with a bait and not turn and set the hook.

I use a circle as the top hook on my gilt (worm) pennells. I tried them for conger but dropped a lot of fish till I realised why. Conger don't always turn and swim off with the bait like other fish. They back away so the circle, particularly an inline one, never gets the chance to set in the corner of the jaw. Tried a single circle behind a spoon for plaice, but if they swallow the hook it's almost impossible to get it out without killing the fish. Ordinary J hooks are easy. PH
I know circles were tried by a few worming for salmon with the hope of hooking in the scissors but had the same problems like you mention with the plaice, once in impossible to get out if in deep.

I think where people have problems with hooking up on circles is the way they were designed to work. The idea is that you give line, allow the fish to turn and swim away and then tighten, snagging the fish in the corner of the jaw.
Striking quickly, or using rigs which do not allow the fish to turn and swim with the bait could result in missed takes.
Incidentally, only inline circles are really safe, as circles with the point turned out to the side are just as likely to gut-hook fish as J hooks but are much harder to remove when this happens. Mustad Perfect Circles are very good. PH
Yep, an offset circle is about the worst hook yoi can use

Back