• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Circle hooks

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi gents
whats the verdict on these Hooks, I look at them and think how the hell do the catch anything with a point that is turned in on it self, I know thy are used commercially so they must work, but I can't see how they work. At the moment I'm starting to favour a semi circle to start the ball rolling any views on these or should I bite the bullet and go for the full circle ps does a turned out eye make a difference

Hi Nearly. They work well for fish and squid baits, not so good with worm. Just pass the hook through the bait once and leave the hook exposed. When you get a bite don't strike the fish will self hook.

Used them for a lot of species including shark and smaller tuna. As said, don`t strike and dont have free spool, the fish need to turn and come up against a solid drag. One guy I know uses full circles for salmon flies and gets his fair share. Normally mouth hooked or in the scissors

Hi gents
whats the verdict on these Hooks, I look at them and think how the hell do the catch anything with a point that is turned in on it self, I know thy are used commercially so they must work, but I can't see how they work. At the moment I'm starting to favour a semi circle to start the ball rolling any views on these or should I bite the bullet and go for the full circle ps does a turned out eye make a difference
Circle hooks work by the fish swallowing the bait, turning and swimming away. Once you tighten up, the hook starts to pull out then catches the corner of the mouth. This works well with some species but not conger, because they swim backward with the bait rather than turning and swimming off. Always use inline circles, not ones with the point turned to one side. These offset ones are just as likely to deep-hook fish as J hooks but are far more difficult to get out if down deep. Mustad Perfect circles are very good and I use them as a top hook on a pennell for gilts. PH

I've been trying some sakuma ones over the last few years and have to say that I find them quite good from my limited experience. They do exactly what they are supposed to, all fish lip hooked it in the scissors. I don't think I've missed alot of fish compared to j hooks either as I will usually try to fish one rod with j hooks and the other with circles, both rods seem to be getting equally as many fish.
You've nothing to loose trying them, you never know, you may like them. That was my attitude. I'm glad I have tried them as I'll probably start using more of them in future.

Thanks
JLD, Stan M, Place hunter, Graig, For taking the time to answer my query all positives except for congers any other comments or experiences are very welcome

I'd be interested in how anyone has got on fishing for wrasse with them. Also, I'd have thought they would help with tackle losses fishing into the rough ground for them as the hook point should be less likely to get snagged.

i didn,t believe in them until this year till i tried them , but weather they would work for all species the jury still out on that. They do work on cod, smooth hounds and skate , i use them on the top hook on a penal rig

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    781.3 KB · Views: 3
I've used them in size 10 for tying buzzer patterns for trout fishing. Just cast them out across the wind under a sight indicator, just let them drift and wait for the indicator to disappear.

Circle hooks work by the fish swallowing the bait, turning and swimming away. Once you tighten up, the hook starts to pull out then catches the corner of the mouth. This works well with some species but not conger, because they swim backward with the bait rather than turning and swimming off. Always use inline circles, not ones with the point turned to one side. These offset ones are just as likely to deep-hook fish as J hooks but are far more difficult to get out if down deep. Mustad Perfect circles are very good and I use them as a top hook on a pennell for gilts. PH
A hook that doesn’t catch conger! Might have to switch over to some of those then! ???

How do people find they work for bait presentation, any pictures please?
It’s one thing to hook on a bit of mackerel or squid and let it flutter but what about baits that need lashing on, softer baits and those that need a pennell ie whole squid or half a bluey?
And what about sandeel?
If it’s only used as the flyer on a pennell and the bottom hook is a J hook, to me that’s not really using a circle set up to it’s potential as the bottom hook could still deep hook the fish.

I’m not being awkward, have genuinely considered using them myself as don’t like deep hooked fish.
Any pictures of different bait presentations would be welcome.

It’s one thing to hook on a bit of mackerel or squid and let it flutter but what about baits that need lashing on, softer baits and those that need a pennell ie whole squid or half a bluey?
And what about sandeel?
If it’s only used as the flyer on a pennell and the bottom hook is a J hook, to me that’s not really using a circle set up to it’s potential as the bottom hook could still deep hook the fish.

I’m not being awkward, have genuinely considered using them myself as don’t like deep hooked fish.
Go on youtube ,[ Billyfishing]

Making hairs for circle hooks and 4 strand set up​

he uses circle hooks all the time .

And what about sandeel?

Used these rigs with good results in Croatia on sub 150lb bluefin and swords. Baits were suspended from floats and simple 6 inch sardine which had to be firmly lashed with elastic.

Attachments

• P1120844.JPG
    P1120844.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 3
Go on youtube ,[ Billyfishing]

Making hairs for circle hooks and 4 strand set up​

he uses circle hooks all the time .
Many thanks for that. I don’t watch a lot of internet videos but I’ll try and call him up on the tv one evening, when I think of it.

Used these rigs with good results in Croatia on sub 150lb bluefin and swords. Baits were suspended from floats and simple 6 inch sardine which had to be firmly lashed with elastic.
Thanks Stan and I can see how those would work on the bigger baits.
Just wondered if anyone had any lashed up bait pictures with circles to show, as well?
Struggling to figure how you could neatly mount a sandeel, for example.
People must do it though?

Thanks Stan and I can see how those would work on the bigger baits.
Just wondered if anyone had any lashed up bait pictures with circles to show, as well?
Struggling to figure how you could neatly mount a sandeel, for example.
People must do it though?
Mark used Aberdeen hooks for this video, but I see no reason it wouldn't work with circle hooks. Pennel rig though.

Mark used Aberdeen hooks for this video, but I see no reason it wouldn't work with circle hooks. Pennel rig though.
I’ll have a look mate, but J hooks imo can be used with a lot more finesse than circles. I’ll watch his video later though

Back