• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Cloud or moon?

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
The sea trout fisher in me likes a cloudy dark night for trying to catch sea trout, no moon, moon being bad. To be fair I have caught sea trout on moonlit nights.

Do you have any preferences if you are out at night, do you think it has any influence on your catches either way the moon being out?

I used to go after 9pm and fly fish for them. They didn't seem to worry what was happening in the sky.

Although I am no game fisherman I always prefer moonless nights if possible, either on the beach or when freshwater fishing.
Most times though I take whatever is on offer , my better catches have always been on moonless , or very overcast nights .

Dave

Although I am no game fisherman I always prefer moonless nights if possible, either on the beach or when freshwater fishing.
Most times though I take whatever is on offer , my better catches have always been on moonless , or very overcast nights .

Dave
Time to change your methods Dave.

Sorry gents, misled you, down the shore off the rocks, sea fishing, was just using sea trout as a reference.
No probs thrash, did you catch anything?

I never head out after dark - i'm good enough at falling & stumbling around in daylight! If I have been out beach fishing from about teatime and it's a mid evening tide, I'll stay out until about 10 or 11pm, but the state of the moon doesn't factor in my decision to go out - tide times are more important.

Old dogs etc, I find that I can mostly winkle something out wherever I end up.
I will be in Cornwall in a couple of weeks, so lets see what that brings . ?

Dave
Hope the tides out when you collect winkles earl, good luck and easy on the pasties (y)

Back